Habitual Offender in Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Habitual Offender in Texas?

Ok, so my brother has an '01 SS that he loves dearly. A little too dearly, because he speeds all the time. He's had a few tickets, and this last time, the cop says he put down that my brother is a Habitual Offender. I know WHAT this is, but what exactly does this mean in Texas, and how can he get rid of that status?
Old 09-28-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by photoman9988
Ok, so my brother has an '01 SS that he loves dearly. A little too dearly, because he speeds all the time. He's had a few tickets, and this last time, the cop says he put down that my brother is a Habitual Offender. I know WHAT this is, but what exactly does this mean in Texas, and how can he get rid of that status?
i got slammed with the same damn thing...they took my DL away for three months (BUT...i also have a NICE list of moving violations lol). and i payed three fines.
I think thats the only way to get it off...sux but thats what i had to do. I guess i could have fought it...BUT it would have cost $$$ and i still probably would have lost.
Much Luck
Old 09-28-2008, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TUMBLRws6
i got slammed with the same damn thing...they took my DL away for three months (BUT...i also have a NICE list of moving violations lol). and i payed three fines.
I think thats the only way to get it off...sux but thats what i had to do. I guess i could have fought it...BUT it would have cost $$$ and i still probably would have lost.
Much Luck
Well he hasn't had his license taken yet, but i think it's pretty bs how it happened... He was coming home, and as he was passing through our neighborhood, he passed this house, and these people started FREAKING out, and yelling. We looked around and saw nobody in the street, and he was going 15mph.

a few hours later, a cop came to our door saying the people said he was going 60 and almost hit their kid. that was a complete lie. i know, because i was THERE. I tried standing up for him, but that just pissed the cop off, and that's when he said he was putting that status on my brother.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hpd are not fbody friendly
ive been hit with the same status
1 bad incident for me
i was in a lt1 with loud exhaust, pulling out of the gas station, cop was sitting in the parking lot across the street. he immediately flashed the spotlight at me in plain daylight and followed me down the block and said i spun the tires, display of acceleration, license plate offset on the bumper, not in the center, said that was illegal to have mounted anywhere but the center of bumper.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

hey nemess its called exibition of acceleration. I two tickets for the same thing in one month. Both were dismissed. watch what you guys plea out on. Most of the time the officer won't show up and the ticket will be dismissed.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bigfatls6
hey nemess its called exibition of acceleration. I two tickets for the same thing in one month. Both were dismissed. watch what you guys plea out on. Most of the time the officer won't show up and the ticket will be dismissed.
thats a chance.

Court dates are set for times when they arent working, so its overtime for them to go in. If its a ticket they know will stick, you can pretty much bet they will be there.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Well, good to see my brother's not the only one. Yes... cops around here are NOT F-body friendly...
Old 09-29-2008, 03:00 AM
11 Second Club

I never heard of a cop being able to give you this status. I know having a laundry list of moving violations will get your DL suspended. TDPS will send you a letter in the mail letting you know you are a Habitual Offender and the length of the suspension.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:56 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

You guys must have bad luck, i have not been pulled over or much less heavily stared at cammin my *** off with straight pipe, no muffler or cats. Some people just have better luck than others. Every once and a while i have been stopped for the front plate being in the window, i explain the Texas law and they dont have **** to say. Other than that...you would be AMAZED how fast and crazy i can drive all day and night and not be pulled over, i have good luck i think.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

court dates are NOT set for times the cop is off duty. the second part is true in that the cop will damn sure show up if the ticket is of greater magnitude than a simple speeding ticket. ie. the OP's brother's case of being accused of speeding down a residential street and almost hitting a child. or if there are multiple violations on the ticket

Originally Posted by Burninator
Court dates are set for times when they arent working, so its overtime for them to go in. If its a ticket they know will stick, you can pretty much bet they will be there.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 6THZ28
court dates are NOT set for times the cop is off duty. the second part is true in that the cop will damn sure show up if the ticket is of greater magnitude than a simple speeding ticket. ie. the OP's brother's case of being accused of speeding down a residential street and almost hitting a child. or if there are multiple violations on the ticket
Well, My dad is a federal agent and we hang out with HCSD and HPD people all the time, since he made friends with them working with them. They seem to say differently.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

i would fight this ticket, its not your word against the cop. its your word against the neighbors so they will have to show up for the trial. maybe they would maybe they wouldn't
Old 09-29-2008, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

Habitual Traffic Offender Law:
State Has Such a Law (Yes/No): Yes Tran. Code §521.292(b)
Grounds for Being Declared an Habitual Offender: "Any person with 4 or more convictions arising out of different actions in a consecutive period of 12 months,or 7 or more convictions arising out of different actions within a period of 24 months...." Tran. Code §521.292(b)
Term of License Rev While Under Habitual Offender Status: Suspension for not more than 1 year Tran. Code §521.292(a)(3).
An occupational license may be issued on a showing of
"essential need". Tran. Code §521.241 et seq.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

traffic attorneys usually charge $75 for standard defense. Not a bad investment IMHO.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bigfatls6
No he is correct if you plea not guilty they usually don't show. Believe it or not cops like their time off. I was written over 25+ tickets between ages 16-18 for speeding, racing, exhibition, tags, Noise pollution the list goes on. You know how many ended up on my record 00000000000000000000!
Old 09-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

99 % I came with my attorney and didn't even need him. He was pretty sure there was something wrong with me. One time the cop showed up for a 72 in a thirty and he was drawing out street maps on the board going full out like he was perry mason. Well my attorney shredded him, it was hilarious he got me off on technicalities. I really thought that cop was going to hunt me down and kill me he was so mad.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Launching!

I don't know what the deal is with Hpd and F body's lately. I'm a safe driver (I have a cdl and have to be), I got popped on Saturday for cruising through a stop sign (which I came to a full stop). Last night one of my buddies borrows the Camaro and gets thrown in jail for evading, truns out the officer didn't even have his lights activated and my buddy was not even speeding nor writen a ticket. This was in Baytown tho? He awaits court tomorrow before anyone can get him out,thank God his g/f was in the car and saved my a bunch of $ for impound fees.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well he hasn't had his license taken yet, but i think it's pretty bs how it happened... He was coming home, and as he was passing through our neighborhood, he passed this house, and these people started FREAKING out, and yelling. We looked around and saw nobody in the street, and he was going 15mph.

a few hours later, a cop came to our door saying the people said he was going 60 and almost hit their kid. that was a complete lie. i know, because i was THERE. I tried standing up for him, but that just pissed the cop off, and that's when he said he was putting that status on my brother.

if the cop didnt SEE him do it i dont think the ticket will stand in court, fight it. I would think that would be called heresay, but im in ks. might be different down there.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by shtnfrds
if the cop didnt SEE him do it i dont think the ticket will stand in court, fight it. I would think that would be called heresay, but im in ks. might be different down there.
right, i would assume that the cop would not even be able to issue a ticket based solely on someones telling him your brother was speeding, thats BS and there is no way for them to prove anything, unless the neighbors had it on video or something, which is impossible since you said he was not speeding
Old 09-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ryanm86
99 % I came with my attorney and didn't even need him. He was pretty sure there was something wrong with me. One time the cop showed up for a 72 in a thirty and he was drawing out street maps on the board going full out like he was perry mason. Well my attorney shredded him, it was hilarious he got me off on technicalities. I really thought that cop was going to hunt me down and kill me he was so mad.
Im gonna need the number to this attorney asap, I was ticket raped once again with a bunch of bs, like no license, expired tags etc.. When I clearly handed my fucken license to the douche cop and clearly had valid tags, i think he was just being an ******* and figured that he pile it on. Since he assumed i was gonna hire a lawyer and those ******* charge $75 per ticket even if it's not valid, I was in the Vette. And the reason i was given a ticket was because i "ran a barricade" i kinda did but i was following a black suburban which turned out to be swat..lol, so once i got further down the street i was stopped completly by another barricade and turned around only to be stopped again and written a grocery list of fucken tickets.

Quick Reply: Habitual Offender in Texas?