Question regarding Body Shop and used parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding Body Shop and used parts

So my car got hit in the rear and the estimate was $2400 with used/reconditioned parts plus no remarks on the estimate except repair Quarter Panel which means Bondo surely.

How should I try to get new parts and no bondo on the Quarter Panel, plus try to get the guy to paint my front bumper and hood to cover up rock chips ?

Any suggestions or where to take it would be appreciated.. I live in Keller NRH Ft Worth Grapevine DFW etc

Sorry never got in a wreck before, and I have been driving for 10 years...

Thanks guys
Old 10-09-2008, 01:38 AM
TECH Resident

I am pretty sure if the car is older that 24 months the insurance has the right to use used parts as long as they are the same like kind and quality. The best thing to do is negotiate with the body shop you are going to use and get them to work out a deal with you on the front bumper or what ever else your going to need done. If the insurance company gave you the estimate that doesn't mean any thing. There is going to be hidden damage and stuff the insurance adjuster missed.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

what does it say in your contract with teh insurance company?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Well there isnt a contract persay since it is only an estimate from the lady's insurance company but it just mentions the items needed to be fixed on the exterior that you can see are damaged. I just dont want bondo Quarter Panel and may slip the shop some cash to paint the hood and bumper while they are at it.

Plus it is an estimate per Craigs Collision where they want me to go but I know I'm taking it somewhere else.

I just dont have any ideas where to take it
Old 10-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

If it is a used rear bumper, it's kind of hard to wear out. It's either good or it isn't. The reconditioned bumper is an OEM bumper that has been repaired, and usually carries a lifetime warranty. As far as the quarter panel goes, even if it was replaced there is a chance that there would be some plastic in it. Usually the part is metalfinished as close as possible, then a skim coat might be used to finish things off. If it is a shop that would just fil in a dent with filler, there is a good chance you might notice this even before you drop the car off (shady looking, etc.).

I am on the cmplete other side of town (Desoto), so I am not sure of anyone up there that is good. You might call your insurance agent for a referral (since I gather you are a claimant on this accident). Your agent may know of a good shop that can help you out. Personal preference, but I would avoid Service King like the plague.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:05 AM
Teching In

i say that you were hit in the rear in texas, you should demand to the insurance company that you want the car bk the way it was. you have the right to have oem new parts on your car. and you have the right to choose who does the work on the car because the insurance companys will pay the same no matter who works on the car. and about getting the front fixed well that all depends on what you work out with the shop that will fix your car. If you were in houston i could recommend a few good shops but your not so good luck.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you will only get new OEM parts if the car is no older than 4years, o unnless you pat for them...just get some used looking parts and have a look at them before they install them on your car, and if you dont want your car going to a shop the insurance wants you to, you don have to its your choice on where your car gets repaired at..and like DEVIL BIRD said about he front bumper it dpends what you wok out with thes hop.....even though uou might not want bondo on your quarter its prob the best thing for the car, because the insurance company is not gonna do damage work on your car for more than the value of it, becasue when a car is repaired and the damage cost comes out more than value of the car it will be considerd salvaged.......