Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Cordless drill recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One time a guy came in with his drill snapped at the elbow part. It was barely hanging on by what plastic housing was left. Since then I have never seen anything like that, except for a guy who took his lawn tractor 4 wheelin and trashed it before returning it to avoid restocking fee.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:29 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like Hitachi stuff, I started off with the 12v ninja turtle green drill and now am buying only hitachi stuff because it can take a beating.

Tony.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Launching!

I have a panasonic drill that I like a lot.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i work for sears and personally know the guys who make the 19.2 lineup.. the company is techtronic industries or tti for short, they have a 19.2 lithium drill that actually has 2 compact batteries and a more compact body than before. very lightweight, and a button that tells you the amount of charge left on the battery, very slick, ask to see the compact lithium c3 drill on their gift bar, its 160 right now but veryyy worth it!

Last edited by t/a98; 11-22-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

Not top of the line, but Black and Decker Firestorm drill is pretty neat. Has a quickchange head so you can have a drill and screwdriver and change them within about a half second.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/Produc...roductID=10892
Old 11-21-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Nothing beats Milwaukee in my opinion. That's what I use at work every day, and have not killed it in 2 years.

+ They are pretty reasonably priced.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:22 PM
10 Second Club

What I use here at the store is the Master Mechanic 18v drill kit. They are about $80 for a drill, 2 batteries, and a case. If you need an item number I could easily get it for you. You can get them at any true value that would be close to you. I've been using mine with other tools that use the same charger, batteries with great luck. If you have any questions just pm me.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

We also use a master mechanic drill at the store haha maybe cus we also sell them..and its a really good drill at least the 18v is
Old 11-23-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've been using my Ryobi now for about 5 weeks. The battery life is excellent and it handles everything i've used it on so far. The Skil drill I killed, my husband took apart and is now working again (think the batteries are on the way out tho') so he's claimed it.
For the price I paid, the Ryobi has been great, and the flashlight that came with it has come in handy too.

Thanks everybody for the recommendations.
Sara Lou
Old 11-26-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

I got a Bosch 36V and it's AMAZING. So much more power than my cheapie B&D and Ryobi pieces of crap. Probably has as much power as my Hitachi $50 corded drill (at 3-4x the price, of course, but good corded drills are always cheaper than good cordless drills)
Old 12-07-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rebuilt
I would go with Ridged if you use it for work. If you register your warranty card with them it has a lifetime repair warranty. Ryobi and Craftsman are made by the same company so its a toss up between them (Sears has them put one extra cell in the pack to bump the voltage). I've had good luck with both my 19.2 Drills but my Ridged hammer drill is my fav. I worked at Sears for over 4 years in the tool dept and most of the drill failures I dealt with could be traced back to operater stupidity.
Rigid could be just about anything…, even different models of the same tool could be built by different companies… like some of their angle grinders are Metabo grinders and some aren’t. Last I checked Rigid got some of the worst reviews for their drills, and traditionally, craftsman have always been rated near the top (at least if you take into account price). Even if they are similar, Sears is basically no bs on warrenty service/replacement, where rigid is known for being slow and unresponsive.

Originally Posted by rebuilt
Or dipping them in water.
As long as you make some effort to dry them out quickly before using them they should be OK. My cousin dropped his Makita in the Niagara river working on their boat dock, and it’s worked for years since then, my craftsman has gotten soaked out in the rain a couple of times and again, no problem.

Quick Reply: Cordless drill recommendations