Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Metrinch

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 04:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Metrinch

So I'm looking in to starting a decent tool set. My uncle has a Metrinch set that he let me borrow and use, and I was pretty impressed by it. I'm thinking about getting a set, but before I jump into it, I figured I'd come get some opinions from good ole LS1tech.

Has anyone used a set? What are your thoughts on it?

http://www.mitools.com/
Old 12-13-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont really like the pictures they show. I know the design is supposed to grip the sides and not the corners, but the wrench is so loose its still just gripping the corner. I buy all my tools off of tool trucks (snap-on, Matco, and MAC). I think I would go and get some craftsman tools if you dont want to pay so much for really high quality stuff. You could even step up to craftsman professional tools.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not much on gimmick made-for-TV tools. I've never seen a mechanic use Metrinches.

The best deals (IMO) are good wrench sets from Sears. Get them on sale, they discount them decently around various holidays (for example, Fathers' Day, Labor Day, Memorial Day, and probably now at Christmas). I've had a set of Sears Made in USA metric wrenches for... 15 years? And they still work great. My primary socket set is almost 20 years old, Craftsman as well.

If I needed some wrenches, I'd go out to Lowe's, Home Depot, Sears, and AutoZone and lay my hands on their 'nicest' wrenches. See how they feel, how they look, and choose the set based on that.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

for the prices of those tools on that site you could get a way better deal at sears for a craftsman suitcase. i got a 175 piece suitcase a couple years ago and honestly dont know how i ever lived without it.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

STAY AWAY! if you're going to work on your car with the those! A long time ago I got those as one of my first set of tools. They suck for anything that needs any kind of force. I promise you will regret it.

I use ratchet wrenches more than anything on my car. Craftsman is good, but I have used the walmart brands with success as well. If you are trying to save money, maybe try a pawn shop. Here lately I've got some crazy good deals around here on tools.

If you're trying to save money, start off getting a metric set 8-15 ( except 9 or 11mm. rarely used)
and you'll need a few standards like 15/16 for the crank bolt, and I can't remember the suspension bolts, but they're on the larger side also.

Hope I saved you some frustration
Old 01-11-2009, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WMSuperSport
STAY AWAY! if you're going to work on your car with the those! A long time ago I got those as one of my first set of tools. They suck for anything that needs any kind of force. I promise you will regret it.

I use ratchet wrenches more than anything on my car. Craftsman is good, but I have used the walmart brands with success as well. If you are trying to save money, maybe try a pawn shop. Here lately I've got some crazy good deals around here on tools.

If you're trying to save money, start off getting a metric set 8-15 ( except 9 or 11mm. rarely used)
and you'll need a few standards like 15/16 for the crank bolt, and I can't remember the suspension bolts, but they're on the larger side also.

Hope I saved you some frustration
I believe most Gear Wrench sets are made by same company.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:02 AM

I bought a set of these through Sears years ago & used them professionally along side of my mac's,snap on's & other's & have had no problems, i would highly recommend them.Its nice to have one set that will do metric & standard sizes.In fact im getting ready to order another lg set this week. I have used these with impacts & breakers & so far the only thing ive broken was a 3/8 6" ext. So get a set & you'll have more room in your box & more money for your ride!

Quick Reply: Metrinch