Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Lets talk garage lighting...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't totally agree with you Sideways. It really depends on how many lumens you are trying to get to the ground. Most buildings I do, I put in 4' fixtures for this reason because its a smaller source. You are correct on a T5 being brighter but that is why we have the reflector as an option. I only put 8' fixtures in a building with a much higher ceiling height because it needs a bigger source to get the proper light to the ground. Now another thing is these lights don't have reflectors because of cost. They are an option to get reflectors please don't bash me for not having them because 90% that you would go buy in the store also haev no reflectors. I only put them in if its a tight area with a much higher ceiling to help get more lumens out to the ground. Also don't get me wrong you can use an 8' fixture in a shorter celing height(14-16 feet is usually the benchmark when to switch) but its not necessary unless there are obstacles in the way. I wouldn't not buy a less efficient light to get less efficiency I put these in dairy barns with 8' ceiling heights so i can put less fixtures in then a T8 and save you money plus they use less electric then. Trust me for a garage you would regret not putting these in.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys here are my lights if people think I don't know what i'm talking about, LOL. If a sponsor has a problem with it please hit me up I don't know much about that stuff I really agree with everyone here I don't think i'm stepping on any toes.

http://www.jdmfg.com/pdf%27s%20of%20...5-Lighting.pdf
Old 01-19-2009, 03:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mainly install the stuff. We have engineer's that figure out the light output that is needed and how high the cielings are ect.

All i know if comed had a program running to get industrial buildings to use more efficent light. They were giving alot of money to customers that switched from the 400 w metal hallide hi bays, to a energy efficent light source. We did 4 ft 6 bulb t5 fixtures in many buildings, and they work great. In offices we usually use t8's but that probably just has to do with costs, which across 200-500 fixtures adds up to be alot.

Chris

Quick Reply: Lets talk garage lighting...