Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

....Rollbar Construction/ Fabrication Design Questions....

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ....Rollbar Construction/ Fabrication Design Questions....

I am going to be having a custom fit 6 point style rollbar installed. The car is a daily driver with limited track use . The purpose of installing a bar is for safety in an accident on public roads. All these idiotic fools who can't drive coupled with the illegals with no license or insurance is making me a bit paranoid. so in short my questions are as follows:

1. would using thicker guage chromoly just for the door bars (in relation to the main hoop same diameter) be better for absorbing a side-impact or should the whole rollbar be the same guage throughout?

2. would thicker guage chromoly help in a side impact situation?

3. would boxing the joints be usefull for a side impact?

4. would steel or chromoly be better for side impact absorbtion? I know chromoly has some "memory" and give before it will snap unlike steel but perhaps I don't want the door bars to give any in this situation? (not like I would want them to snap either lol)

couple of things cost is no concern and neither is weight but I don't want to go the cage route as I have heard it is not safe in an accident in which the passengers are not wearing helmets- which I won't be. I will be retaining stock side impact door bars and the car weight is around 2,000 pounds (significantly lightened 240sx lsx conversion).
Old 04-15-2009, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The door bar does next to nothing to help in a side impact and may actually hurt you more than not having it. if you wanted to make something for side impacts you need to start looking at something like this

Quick Reply: ....Rollbar Construction/ Fabrication Design Questions....