Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Good 40 Watt soldering iron...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Good 40 Watt soldering iron...

So I am going to goign to Embry Riddle for Aviation maintenance. Coming up on having to buy some more tools.

These are the required tools, I already ahve the first set of tools. School sells kits, they are snap on tools, I got a used set from a student who dropped out

http://www.erau.edu/db/degrees/ap_program/ap_tools.html

Alright now I am going to need the advanced tool kit. The advanced kit is $850 with a snap on discount. Little pricey for what I am getting looks long but ir really isn't that much.

I was thinking of pieceing my own kit together for school. I was thinking of getting some snap on ratchets off ebay, then pretty much going craftsman for the rest of the stuff. Save $200-300 maybe

I want to get a good quality Soldering iron, I am starting to dig electronics may get more into Avionics and plan to go through a bit of it, willing to spend good money on one. Just curious what you guys suggest?

Asked teachers they kind of leaned towards weller and nothing really different then a 40W.

also any tips on a high quality wire stripper? Thinking of just going snap on with that as well. (Aviation grade wire is pretty durable)
Old 04-24-2009, 11:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the radio shack soldering iron. the trigger style. best ones that i have used. the weller seemed like it went down hill

i bought an automatic wire stripper from electrical section at home depot. bueen using it for years. have had great luck with it.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using one of these for about 3 years. 60W http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?C...ID=1249&Page=1

I like it better than the Weller I had. Lot less $$$ to. Very nice iron.

Quick Reply: Good 40 Watt soldering iron...