Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Got an old bench grinder... questions about cleaning it up...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Got an old bench grinder... questions about cleaning it up...

So wife's grandfather died. Was asked to pick up some tools and such out of the garage, found alot of Gems and want to go back and get more, but were strectched on time...

An old Craftsman 1/3 HP Bench Grinder. Its older, you cna just tell by the plate on it. Says 1/3 hp, 3600 hp rated Made in USA. Switch feels a little finicky, but is old fashiond I may replace this.

Has an eye guard and tool guards(tool guard is the one that prevents from sucking it out fo your hand and around the wheel right?)

Questions....

#1, any ideas on how to see if its putting out decent power and worth keeping? I am guessing turn it on and put something against it with some force and see how it holds up

#2, case is a little rough, any tips on cleaning it up a bit? Maybe even paint it?

I kind of want to clean it up, because this seems like one of those will last 100 years things. Willing to take it apart wire brush and clean it up, even willing to dril the plate off and re rivet it back on. Will likely be throwing another powercord on it. And probably replacing the power switch, I want to open it up and see if anything else needs to be cleaned up inside as well.

Last edited by MustangEater82; 04-26-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it work? If so I wouldnt mess with it. I have a whole garage full of ancient tools and equally as ancient motors. They are all still going strong. Maybe try spraying some wd40 down into it some way.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:50 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeMoss
Does it work? If so I wouldnt mess with it. I have a whole garage full of ancient tools and equally as ancient motors. They are all still going strong. Maybe try spraying some wd40 down into it some way.
Works fine, switch is a little finicky, was planning on replacing it.

Quick Reply: Got an old bench grinder... questions about cleaning it up...