Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Best Valvespring Compressing tool?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 01:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to see someone still has some of these. Since Crane went out of business, summit and jegs no longer has any.

I have started making my own but with a bigger radius to clear the double springs. My Crane tool would bind on those sometimes.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am surprised when I see people recommending the Crane valve spring compressor. I did a few spring swaps with it and found it to probably be the worst spring compressor I have used.

Since the Crane tool, I have purchased a few other valve spring compressors. Ironically, the one I found to work best (by a wide margin) is the ~$15 dollar "KD 912" one. Super fast, easy to use, and the tool holds down the spring by itself (man power not required).

KD 912 - Modifications

Cut the tool in half, right at the upper hole, and then the tool then fits under the cowl with ease.

The bottom hole in the KD tool is actually a smidge too big for a rocker arm bolt. Use an appropriately sized (and strong) washer to remedy this.

When using the KD tool, a portion of the KD tool touches the cylinder head edge (the edge that the valve covers seal to). Place a piece of cardboard, rag, whatever...between this portion of the KD tool and the cylinder head edge, to ensure no markings occur.

Quick Reply: Best Valvespring Compressing tool?