Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

New MIG welder for CHEAP and a '49 Chevy Truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking New MIG welder for CHEAP and a '49 Chevy Truck

Well, I took $800 pretty far this time. I got me a '49 Chevy truck rolling chassis for $500, and a new 135amp 110 Lincoln MIG welder for $300 from home depot (marked $479) I think I have been cut off for this weekend

I've never had a MIG welder, but thought I ought to invest in one since I wasn't sure about using my stick welder for body work (never done any body work either). Now maybe I'll tackle some custom exhaust ideas that I've had in mind on my Z28 Something tells me that my air grinders don't have a clue what they're in for with a beginning welder on their hands... Time to break out the books!
Old 05-18-2009, 12:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
Well, I took $800 pretty far this time. I got me a '49 Chevy truck rolling chassis for $500, and a new 135amp 110 Lincoln MIG welder for $300 from home depot (marked $479) I think I have been cut off for this weekend

I've never had a MIG welder, but thought I ought to invest in one since I wasn't sure about using my stick welder for body work (never done any body work either). Now maybe I'll tackle some custom exhaust ideas that I've had in mind on my Z28 Something tells me that my air grinders don't have a clue what they're in for with a beginning welder on their hands... Time to break out the books!
Lmao! Sounds like you got some pretty killer deals! I would love to have a 40's - early 50's truck! When it comes to welding body panels, just take your time with the welding and grinding, making sure to not get the area to hot, which could result in warpage. Also don't weld "beads" Just make a series of spot welds. Good Luck!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks, thats actually a massive tip for me! That should make things easier too. How about sand blasting? Is there any danger with getting metal too hot with a sandblaster?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

I don't think you'll have any problem getting metal hot with a sand blaster. I used to do sand blasting and we had to sandblast the drawer covers on tool boxes for a big company, never had any problems with the metal getting hot.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:39 AM
TECH Addict

Good deal. I've been using mason sand for years with good results, but I was wondering if I should try a new type of media? Or, what would work the best for my application where I've got 8 years of Alabama building up on the outside of this thing.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

Ya I think you should be fine. Maybe get a finer mix when shooting the truck. And if that works ok for you, get one more coarse if all of Alabama isn't coming off

Quick Reply: New MIG welder for CHEAP and a '49 Chevy Truck