Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Mig or tig back brace for Moser 9"

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 04:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Mig or tig back brace for Moser 9"

I bought a used 9" for my car and was gonna run it the way it is.No back brake,but I thought to myself Why not just go ahead and weld the back brace for extra strength insurance.My question is should I mig the back brace on it or just tig it?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly it doesnt really matter, why are you wondering which type? If you are looking for super clean welds go tig(no splatter), but you easily achieve the same with mig if you go about it correctly
Old 08-04-2009, 07:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Either way you go you need to cut the housing ends off and put the housing in a jig. The housing will bow when you apply that much heat to weld the brace on.

225-343-9029
Old 08-04-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MADMAN
Either way you go you need to cut the housing ends off and put the housing in a jig. The housing will bow when you apply that much heat to weld the brace on.
So madman, Even tig he will have to put it in a jig?
Old 08-04-2009, 09:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MADMAN
Wow I didn't think it was that much of a process.Which welding method generates less heat?I was thinking of welding on the brace on.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The housing would have to be so strong that it would not need a brace, to keep from warping when welded. Either process will cause warpage. Warpage is not from heat input only, it is because the filler metal shrinks so much, drawing what it is fused with out of shape.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Even if you tack all over the place and apply the least amount of heat/filler possible, it's going to pull the tubes back to some degree.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RobZ
Wow I didn't think it was that much of a process.Which welding method generates less heat?I was thinking of welding on the brace on.

TIG If you have a great tig welder it can be done with out it warping. but will also take about 4 times longer to weld . One trick is to put .001 dials on the end 4 needed total and watch them while welding my bubby can bend and straighten metal with just the TIG torch and how he moves and amps it
Old 08-06-2009, 06:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RobZ
A TIG arc is significantly hotter than a MIG arc (i don't remember exactly how much), but the benefit of the TIG is the control you have over the amount of heat you use. I agree with Madman; the housing should be placed in a fixture to keep it straight because all the tack welds in the world won't help it once you really start putting some heat and filler metal to it.

FWIW, I just got a Moser w/backbrace installed in the mail on Tuesday and it looked like it was MIG'd.

Quick Reply: Mig or tig back brace for Moser 9"