Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Is anyone here a TECH?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
I highly disagree. Working with the cars YOU'VE chosen is a PITA. No offense I've worked on Porsches as a summer job (knew the owner) and I learned a lot. Mainly, you've gotta be awesome at dropping the motor out the bottom real fast to get things done on time and to make money. But if your fast, and know the cars, you can make some serious money. I've never worked on the new SUVs though.

Volkswagens have crazy problems. I've got a buddy who works for a dealer and they are buying Jetta's back, more than a few too. He was telling me about how there is a problem with the way the coolant lines are routed, and the gauge clusters were filling up with antifreeze...LOL. What a pain in the ***, at that point the car is basically unsalvageable because it gets everywhere, hense having to buy them back.

Right now I'm working on BMWs at a specialty shop. It's AWESOME, the cars are a dream to work on. I've been spoiled with them and last weekend installed headers on my TA. IMO, working on American cars is the biggest headache. It's great for a hobby, but not a profession. I'll be attedning UTI in the spring also, and will go on to the BMW Step Program. This way, I can sign on with them and work at a Dealer for 2 years. If that is an option for you (Excal) go for it! This way you can get them to pay for your school, and some tools to help get you started.

Right now I've got a mix of Snap On, Craftsmen, and Ingersoll Rand tools. Just the basics, thats all you need right now. If your planning to attend and complete schooling in UTI, they give you more of the stuff you need when your done anyways. Good Luck and which school campus will you be attending? I haven't decided, but it will be either Houston or Phoenix.

Rob

Well no UTI is available to me, But there is a (gasp) Lincoln tech. what i don't like is that they're not exclusive to Auto stuff. They do hvac, electronics ect ect.

As a matter of fact they have a BMW STEP facility within the lincoln tech. I'm just wondering how hard is it to get into step and all..

I'm considering it heavily Because of their connection to step and the fact that it is basically In-house.

Any advice on working with Bmws? I mean...after Step i'm definetly aiming at a Dealership.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:27 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard of Lincoln Tech, don't know anyone whos gone there though. I thought OTC had connections with BMW and offered the Step program as well, but it could have been Lincoln.

I'm not exactly sure how hard it is to get into step. But I am going to UTI for automotive and Hot Rod U which is included. I work with a kid who already went through the program and was out in 9 months. He also went into Step, and I now work with him. He did double classes every day with a 1 or 2 hour break in between classes. I'm going to do the same, and working at the shop I do now, I feel I have an awesome basic/intermediate knowledge of the cars.

The cars themselves are different, but they make sense. If you can get what i mean by that... Working on them, it seems like they were put together with reason behind everything. As opposed to working on my TA, where I feel everything is thrown in there, because it fit.

BMW, Mercedes, or Porsche are my 3 choices. Like I said before though, I learned that working on Porsches, you've got to be real quick and knowledgeable to spin wrenches on them.

Rob
Old 12-08-2003, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do you think money is better in a luxury company?

Also wondered if dealerships have all the tools u need to work on their cars or what..
Old 12-09-2003, 02:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Excal
do you think money is better in a luxury company?

Also wondered if dealerships have all the tools u need to work on their cars or what..
I've heard Mercedes and BMW pay really good, and I even heard of a Ferrari tech in California that made $500,000 in a year!

But mostly it comes down to the tech. In my area, I've met A-techs at Chevy dealers that make between $23 and $29 an hour. $25 is considered standard A rate for this part of the country. The Honda dealer I worked at paid $22 for A rate, if that puts things in perspective. Flat rate is where the money is though. If you can make 10, 12, or even 15 hours of labor in a day you're going to bank it no matter what you work on. That's more about the dealership than the brand though. If you get into a busy shop with good service advisors, you'll do well. If the service advisors couldn't sell heat to Eskimo's though, you'll down. Don't worry too much about that though, jobs aren't hard to come by and if you're a good tech another dealership will ****** you up in a big hurry. Saves them major bucks on training.

The dealership I'm in just awarded an A tech a $4,000 Rolex last week for making over $100,000 a year, two years in a row. He made almost $80,000 the year before. Considering he made OVER 100k, that's close to $300,000 in 3 years. Not to bad for a lowley Chevy tech So money can be made working on any brand despite what you may hear.

Once you have some experience, a lot of it comes down to how hard you are willing to work.

As far as tools, yes most of the "special" tools the dealership will have, a lot fo them are required by the manufacturer for the dealer to have. But how ORGANIZED they are varies from dealer to dealer. You'll find you probably won't need them as much as you think though, especially starting out. Most of those tools are for major transmission, engine, or similar work that you won't be doing in the beginning.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:17 AM
TECH Resident

Regarding tools. Find out what you need and get it. You don't want to be barrowing tools are having to wait around for certian tool, they are what makes your money. BMW Step from what I've seen is some what hard to get into. Once you interview with them your not allowed to interview with anyone else. And you have to wait a lil over 2 weeks to find out if you are accepted into the program. This applies if you are attending UTI and choose to go into the manufactor programs. I go to UTI and I'm 2 days away from graduating. So if you have any q's about them just ask.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

"A rate" would be like a master tech or what?

How much experience did u have prior to UTI?

I know of 2 locations for STEP..lets say i interview with one and they don't accept me, can i apply at another facility of STEP, say in another state?

Also what is the exact definition of "flat rate" i think i have the idea but why is it better? and do dealerships operate this way?

how long was UTI and is it costly?

Are u going for any make specific training?

I need a school in my state however so i doubt i'd be able to go there regardless.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

UTI is a 1 year school. Total for the whole year that I have to pay back is about 22,000. I didn't qualify for any grants or student aids. So I had to take out loans. I had no prior automotive training before this. Just the basic ideas behind cars. I'm going into Volkswagen training in March. And will be schooling with them for 4 months. After that I'll be placed into a VW dealership. The manufacture training is free to you, providing you graduate UTI and meet the Manufacture's critera. I'm not sure how Step works outside of UTI. But at UTI if BMW step doesn't accept you..then thats it it. Flat rate for example. Lets say you have to change a waterpump..and the labor book says it takes 3 hours to do. And you go and change the waterpump in 1 1/2 hours you just got paid for 3 hours. Thats the basic idea of flat rate. You get paid for the job. Thats how dealerships operate. Wheres Wrencher..he knows alot...
Old 12-10-2003, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep LS1MONSTER pretty much explained Flat Rate. There is a labor guide that lists labor for repairing or replacing pretty much every single part on a car, year, make, and model specific. You get paid for what you do, so if you can get 12 labor hours of work done in 8 hours, you beat the clock. You go home with 12 hours pay and you're still home by 5:30.

You'll make a lot of the hours doing "gravy" work. Gravy jobs are the ones that are very easy and pay a lot of time. Flushes are a good example of "Gravy" work. Most flushes pay the tech 1 hour and take 10-20 minutes to do. Scheduled services are also money makers. When I was at Honda they pushed the services, like 7,500 mile service, 15,000 mile service, etc. Some of them paid 2-3.1 hours. I remember one day in particular doing a 45k mile service (2.6 hours) in 22 minutes.

As far as "A rate", that's the pay rate for an A-tech. Most shops have a general structure for pay based on certifications. For example, A-rate might be $25/hour, B might be $22, C might be $17 or 18, PDI might be $14, etc. So an "A-rate" tech is an "A" certified master tech that's probably making in the mid to high $2x/hour range.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thanks alot..i like the idea of flat rate. ($$)

I suppose if the STEP thing didn't work out, i would still try different makes..It seems make-specific training is very important.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:48 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your seriously planning on going into STEP, I would definately try and get some BMW experience. It won't hurt, and even if your not getting paid what you want, it will help in the long run. Particularly if you work at a dealer, you will have your foot in the door. Since the dealers are directly connected with BMW, you should have no problem getting in so long as your pretty decent.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you mean like an intership at a dealer before i graduate school?

As of now i have my mind on step because of location...i guess i'll see once i start school.

would ASE stuff help you in gettin in the school?

What do you prefer..working on the porsche cars or bmw?
Old 12-10-2003, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Hey Excal - I see you're from NJ..
I went to Brookdale Community College in the GM ASEP program (General Motors Automotive Service Educational Program) in 1995. It is really an excellent program if you want to work in a GM dealership. I had to work at a dealership to be in the program. If you can't find a dealership job they will help place you.

You also get 50% off Snap-On tools (one time deal).
Old 12-10-2003, 09:14 PM
wrencher

Just remember that flat rate works both ways.
If you dont get the job done in 1 hour it takes 2 you get paid for 1.
Comebacks are usually on you.( you fault)
Depends on the shop & how they work this out.
Just a reason to get better & better.
I love recalls, they give you a flat rate on them & every one I get faster at.
I can usually trim it to 1/2 the rate & rake it in.
Just find a fair shop thats strait up.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's not a total loss if you have a bad week though. Most shops have at least a 34 hour guarantee. Some even go up to 40 hours.

I love recalls too. Just an invitation for the customer to bring his car to the dealership so I can find something to sell on it
Old 12-11-2003, 03:22 AM
TECH Resident

Exacl anything you cand do to make yourself look better is worth doing. ASE's are always good to have. I took my ASE's this past November. Took engine repair and brakes. Should be getting my results in any day now. Test weren't too bad. They come up with some tricky questions though!
Old 12-12-2003, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete2k_Z28
It's not a total loss if you have a bad week though. Most shops have at least a 34 hour guarantee. Some even go up to 40 hours.

I love recalls too. Just an invitation for the customer to bring his car to the dealership so I can find something to sell on it
I disagree most shops have NO guarantee for hours. Being a "A-Tech" at my shop means you make too much per hour and its "Cost Effective" to give any type of "Gravy" to slugs who make less per hour. I am too busy repairing complicated problems that are hard to justify my time on in order to get paid fairly. Play dumb and you will make more money, because your boss needs to make you look productive, so he will give you the services, brakes, alignments, etc. This career sucks! Proceed with Caution!
Old 12-13-2003, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

LS1derful, Are you working for a shop or a dealership? Your tool box has wheels on it and your skills can take you someplace better.....
Old 12-14-2003, 03:51 PM
wrencher

Agreed LS1derful ,dont even put up with that $h!t!!!
There are far too many good places to work for to even deal with this crap.
If there not giving you fair diagnostic time ,& short changing you find another job & give 'em 2 weeks.
They only do this to techs cause people put up with it.
Give them a little enlightening,...
Old 12-14-2003, 05:52 PM
Launching!

I've had the same experience as LS1derfull..
At the shop I worked at (GMC/Buick/Pontiac Dealer) I was an "A Tech". I got all the electrical problems, trans rebuilds, ABS, etc.. etc..
Now, I prefer those jobs.. anybody can do a 30K and brake job. Unfortionately 30K's and brake jobs are the jobs that pay. You could do a brake job in a half hour and make 1.5 hours. Get a warrenty electrical problem and you get 1.5 hours if your lucky.

In my experience it all comes down to the service writer (or work dispatcher) not wanting a "come back". If you're good, you'll get all the difficult problems, which don't pay well. Now and again you'll get lucky if it's slow and they'll throw some service work or a PDI at you..

I did it for 3 years and became a very angry person watching the guy in the bay next to me doing gravy after gravy while my pay check reflected 45 hours and he's was 70hours. He couldn't fix a sandwich.. But he was real good at gravy..

Well, it's been 3 years since I left automotive repair and moved into computers.. I don't regret it one bit.. And I make more then double what I did as a mechanic.

Just my bitter .02

BTW - I love working on my TA
Old 12-14-2003, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002WS6_MN6
I've had the same experience as LS1derfull..
At the shop I worked at (GMC/Buick/Pontiac Dealer) I was an "A Tech". I got all the electrical problems, trans rebuilds, ABS, etc.. etc..
Now, I prefer those jobs.. anybody can do a 30K and brake job. Unfortionately 30K's and brake jobs are the jobs that pay. You could do a brake job in a half hour and make 1.5 hours. Get a warrenty electrical problem and you get 1.5 hours if your lucky.

In my experience it all comes down to the service writer (or work dispatcher) not wanting a "come back". If you're good, you'll get all the difficult problems, which don't pay well. Now and again you'll get lucky if it's slow and they'll throw some service work or a PDI at you..

I did it for 3 years and became a very angry person watching the guy in the bay next to me doing gravy after gravy while my pay check reflected 45 hours and he's was 70hours. He couldn't fix a sandwich.. But he was real good at gravy..

Well, it's been 3 years since I left automotive repair and moved into computers.. I don't regret it one bit.. And I make more then double what I did as a mechanic.

Just my bitter .02

BTW - I love working on my TA
But.... you were making "A" rate (probably around $25/hour, I don't know how much it differes around the country) and he may have been making "C" rate, around $15-17/hour. So he may have been killing you on the hours, but I'll bet you were making about the same or better.

FWIW the A techs at my job usually book over 80 hours a week. One made over 100k two years in a row. Ya got to find your own gravy sometimes. Grab a used car and get 4 hours on it (cert, brakes, fluids, filters, etc).

And I seem to get a lot of the jobs you speak of, ie. electrical diags, ABS stuff, etc. About all I do NOT get are transmissions since I'm not an A.

A lot has to do with where you work. Some places are very strict on who gets what, others are not. Can't blame it on the trade.