Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Nothing but pissed with Craftsman!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:53 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I own a mix of tools, Snap On, Craftsman, Matco, etc. I will tell you, if you use tools for a living, there are definte differences in quality and comfort of use. The Craftsman Professional line is pretty good from a comfort standpoint, but in most cases, Snap On has them beat hands down. When you are using a ratchet or a combination wrench for 10-16 hours a day, these things count for alot. Once I got a full set of Snap On combination wrenches, I gave ALL of my Craftsman stuff to my dad. He uses tools like most people, side projects from time to time. It wasn't until I went full time in this industry that I cared about subtle differences. There are other issues like socket wall thickness and getting into tight places that the higher quality tools will always win. It might not seem like a big deal to most, but when your livelyhood depends on it, the better tools really shine. Nothing at all against Craftsman, I have thousands of dollars worth, I just keep passing them on to my dad...

Shane
Old 02-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Only craftsman tools I've ever had a problem with are the ratchets... every time I bring one back and get one with a plastic selector I cringe, because I know it's gonna be a POS.

I have several of them, and I don't like them... but when they break I just bring them back and get another.

I will, next time I break one just buy a good one from either strap-on, Kobalt, or whoever I can find a good quality one, and then take the cheapo one, get another and leave that one for when I'm at home.

Nothing would be worse then going to the track and having the damn ratchet break. I'm going thru what I have, and as I make up my track set that stay in the trailer, making sure that I have what I need, in a form that won't break. But, I've also just considered keeping 2 ratchets in the trailer, cheap ones, in case one decides to walk away one day.

I'd rather have one of those disappear then a good one.... that being said, I'm not 100% what to do.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Only craftsman tools I've ever had a problem with are the ratchets... every time I bring one back and get one with a plastic selector I cringe, because I know it's gonna be a POS.

I have several of them, and I don't like them... but when they break I just bring them back and get another.

I will, next time I break one just buy a good one from either strap-on, Kobalt, or whoever I can find a good quality one, and then take the cheapo one, get another and leave that one for when I'm at home.

Nothing would be worse then going to the track and having the damn ratchet break. I'm going thru what I have, and as I make up my track set that stay in the trailer, making sure that I have what I need, in a form that won't break. But, I've also just considered keeping 2 ratchets in the trailer, cheap ones, in case one decides to walk away one day.

I'd rather have one of those disappear then a good one.... that being said, I'm not 100% what to do.
that's why i use my tools when i am at your house, i got snap on tools, the good itmes, ratchets,wrenches,etc...some craftsman stuff is fine also, but nothing beats Snap on ratchets
Old 02-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Race your car!

I'm not gonna argue that. I have a new craftsman one I bought a while ago, flex head one... that one seems alot better then the regular strait ones did.

But, as I use these more and more, I think I will be swapping to another brand of ratchet. The wrenches and sockets I have no problems with, they've taken plenty of anuse/use with no failures at all, just the selector on the ratchets.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like when people use the ratchet as a hammer?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by subarubill96
like when people use the ratchet as a hammer?
I do that all the time, hell I did it a little while ago. Thats their second use right??
Old 02-03-2010, 05:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I promise, I don't use my ratchets for a hammer... I will tell you, the first time one gives out on you when you are tightening a bolt and you happen to break a finger or worse, you won't skimp on a quality ratchet.

Don't even ask me how I know.

Shane
Old 02-03-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I do that all the time, hell I did it a little while ago. Thats their second use right??
just ask JL, im pretty sure i was the one would tested that theory and thats why he has another broken ratchet. personally, if it has some type of mass behind it, its a hammer to me...
Old 02-04-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

didnt hear it from me but ive had customers with broken hands arms, and one guy who nocked his teeth out. but who puts there face that close to a ratchet?? hahaha
Old 02-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by subarubill96
just ask JL, im pretty sure i was the one would tested that theory and thats why he has another broken ratchet. personally, if it has some type of mass behind it, its a hammer to me...
Yeah.... you broke one of my old OLD ones that had the metal selector.. that was one of my good ones

Funny thing was when I brought that in to exchange it, the guy was looking at it behind the counter like he'd never even seen one like that. I asked if they happen to have one that was the same... guy said " I wish we still sold ones like that" he was about 65 to 70 yrs old.. and probably recognized that it was, probably almost as old as he was. It was... one of the tools my grandfather gave me.. he's been gone since 2001 and was 83 when he died, so the liklyhood of it being that old.. was good.

What does any of that mean? Old craftsman tools, made here in the states from back in the day, did hold up pretty good.

Thanks again Bill
Old 02-04-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

When I was at Sears/craftsmen, I often rebuilt the gears. Yes, the older stuff was better. I hate my 3/8" Craftmen ratchet. Next time I go to Lowe's, I'm buying a new one from a different brand.

Take notice, the handles are different on the old ones as well. Better product overall.

Lastly, sometimes the rebuilt rachets for exchange are grouped together. If the guy grabs one from this pile, ask to try them all out, and take the best one. Sometimes the older, more abused looking ones worked the best and had the least slop. Some even had initials/names engraved in them, lol.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

I got craftsman tools from the 40-50's some stuff people have never seen before the whole department will stop and look! what do you replace it with? I have a ratchet that the head is in the middle theres a black plastic handle at the other end and like a stubby on the other there always like wtf? well what did you pay for it i'll telll 500 they can't look it up i act fustrated and walk off, ahhh the simple things in life but yeay there ratchets have taken a dump never cared for there power tools i'll use aything mostly whatever i find in the road
Old 02-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Race your car!

I had a craftsman lawnmower, that didn't last long. It literally rattled itself apart. Troy-bilt I replaced it with has been good for almost twice as long and is happy. It's burnign a little oil, which I'm surprised at... but at least it's staying together.

Overall, craftsman has a "decent" line of tools, the ratchets, and swivel sockets are a little weak, and not really up to daily use, but everything else isn't too bad.

One thing is nice, at least you can bring them back to your local sears, which are everywhere. Alot easier tehn trying to find a strap-on rep, those guys are like friggin houdini here in CT, you "hear" of them, but never see one anywhere. Same with Matco.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Yeah.... you broke one of my old OLD ones that had the metal selector.. that was one of my good ones

Funny thing was when I brought that in to exchange it, the guy was looking at it behind the counter like he'd never even seen one like that. I asked if they happen to have one that was the same... guy said " I wish we still sold ones like that" he was about 65 to 70 yrs old.. and probably recognized that it was, probably almost as old as he was. It was... one of the tools my grandfather gave me.. he's been gone since 2001 and was 83 when he died, so the liklyhood of it being that old.. was good.

What does any of that mean? Old craftsman tools, made here in the states from back in the day, did hold up pretty good.

Thanks again Bill
anything i can do to help come over and break some of my tools one of these days
Old 02-05-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Man we have had nothing but success with craftsman lawnmowers. Ours last usually 10-15 years with cutting grass every 4 days during the summer. (4 acres). So we can't complain. It's funny watching all these people buying john deers for double or triple and we are still sporting our old *** craftsmen when they are picking their 4k lawnmower up and carrying it to the shop or garage.lol.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, their mowers are fine, mine hasn't broke yet. Their quality on the (new) tools is what is in question. I got a set of the 6-1 wrenches as a stocking stuffer, they are clearly stamped Made in (not USA). Anyway, I've been to HF 4 times in the last 2 weeks for vice, torque wrenches, some misc. tools, and blaster parts. I don't want to do any business with Craftsman unless it's swapping broken tools. I know it has a lot to do with the store and area, here I've had convice them to even replace hand tools!

-SS
Old 02-08-2010, 02:47 AM
11 Second Club

Absolutely nothing pisses me off more than cheap tools. I now have ~20k in Mac tools after owning a bunch of walmart/parts store/craftsman items. I will NEVER skimp again on something that sees use/abuse. I've broken several cheap ratchets and sockets usually resulting in destroying your hands/etc.

The biggest factor in me choosing Mac is because of the vendor. The snap-on vendor in my area is a stuck up d-bag that showed up to the tool fair before tech school started and never once showed up throughout the 2 years i went there. The Mac guy showed up every Thursday, happy to hand out sales fliers and replace anything broken. And he never minds it when you call him on nights/weekends to get tools. I actually called him 2 weeks ago at 9pm to get a set of specialty sockets when I was working on my car. That's some service.

Hell he even replaced stuff that wasn't even close to warranty capable. Example.. I accidently left a pry bar propped up under the lift and when I lowered the car I noticed it stopped going down.. lol. My 4ft prybar held up 100% of the weight of a car and barely bent. The only thing it did was destroy the handle.. replaced for free.

Just the other night when I was wiring in the reverse lights to my TH350 and wanted to keep all of the factory plugs intact in case I ever put the car back to stock. I didn't have a set of automatic "in-line" wire strippers so I stopped by Advance Auto and picked some up for $15. I tested them out on a few spare pieces of wire, and then went to stripping on the car. Stripped the first one perfect. Got to the second one, destroyed the wire. I tried it again on another wire I wanted to keep in tact and it busted it. I was so fking pissed i threw them against the ground and they shattered in to several pieces. I used mac strippers for over a year at a stereo shop I worked in and never once had that issue. Next time I see the Mac guy, I'm picking some up.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

While I may not have been wrenching long (10 years DIY'er), Craftsman does me pretty well for what I need. I've only broken one 3/8" wratchet, and that was my fault. or the BFH's fault, you decide. But they've always taken my stuff back and I don't have to go chase a truck down to do it. Would I do it differently if it was my main job? Of course. but being a shade tree mechanic myself, I'll work with what I've got.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Teching In

I too have stopped buying Craftsmen. They argue the warranty everytime I bring something in. They've stopped replacing screwdrivers here!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

WHAT? Why screwdrivers?

Quick Reply: Nothing but pissed with Craftsman!