Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Can Makita Tool Batteries Be Revitalized Somehow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Can Makita Tool Batteries Be Revitalized Somehow?

Heard that there is a trick, or method, to revitalizing dead Makita power tool batteries. Anyone know how this is done? Thanx
Old 02-03-2010, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribing...
Old 02-04-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

you can do it with a welder. nicd batteries only. YOutube it and sift through the videos that try to sell you something
Old 02-04-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 3800RS
you can do it with a welder. nicd batteries only. YOutube it and sift through the videos that try to sell you something
USE THIS PROCEDURE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Before someone tries to revitalize a Ni-Cad battery with a welder and ends up exploding the battery and hurting themselves. here is what you can try to revitalize them. First you need to open the battery pack so you have access to the individual 1.25V Ni-Cad cells. You need to momentarilly shock them with a good 12V source. I use a spare car battery. You can try a 12V power supply but most of them will have some kind of overload short circuit protection that will shut them down if they see a short across their output. I use a heavy gauge wire set of red and black test leads. Something like 12 or 14 ga wire. Hook the red to the car battery + and the black to the -. NEXT PUT ON A PAIR OF SAFETY GLASSES. Probably at least a long sleeve shirt too. Now momentarilly touch the red to the Ni-Cad + and the black to the Ni-Cad - for 1~2 seconds. 3 seconds max. You can do this 2 or 3 times. Now check the cell with a volt meter. If it reads 1.25V then you probably have a better battery than before shocking it. Do this to all the cells in the pack. I have done this on a lot of my DeWalt battery packs and other devices that have 1.25V Ni-Cads. Some will work like new and others will go back to not holding a charge like before. If they still fail you might look to see if you have any local stores that specialize in battery sales. We have several in my area that will replace the Ni-Cads in almost anything with better and higher ma/hr cells for way less than buying a new brand name battery pack.

USE THIS PROCEDURE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Last edited by 2xLS1; 02-04-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

you can always replace the cells pretty cheap
Old 02-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Ive done this with an older battery charger/jumper that did not have a circuit fault. I set it to "jump" at 50amps, and it actually worked on most of my older batteries. Its not as good as new, but could be used.

Use every safety protection you have, glasses, mask/shield, long thick shirts for your safety
Old 02-07-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did the 12V boost trick on my cordless phone batteries, now I can keep it off of the charger for about six hours. Before the treatment, it went dead after a couple of hours. When it was new, it might have took a day and a half to go dead.

Quick Reply: Can Makita Tool Batteries Be Revitalized Somehow?