Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Tool Review: Psiclops Pressure Balancing Tire Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tool Review: Psiclops Pressure Balancing Tire Gauge

I've been in the market for a high quality tire pressure gauge for when i go to the track. A good gauge is like $40. that seemed steep to me, so i bought a cheap one from pepboys that *looks* like a high quality one for like $5... i got what i paid for. the search continues...

somehow, i stumbled upon the Psiclops. It is more than just a tire gauge, it also equalizes the tire pressure between two tires. this seems perfect for going to the track. not only does it make sure you have equal pressure, it also just plain works better/faster than a normal tire gauge because the chucks lock on to your stems, you can adjust down AND up while connected to the tire, and you are doing two tires at a time.

no more having to check 3 times with that cheapo pencil gauge and having to fight with the gauge and slinging around the air hose for all 4 tires. i checked and adjusted the tire pressure in 3 cars in about the time it normally takes me to do 1 car.

you can also do 1 tire at a time if you want. it is backlighted with AAA batteries, but the gauge works without the batteries, its just for the light, which will come in damn handy when i go to fill my tires back up to 'street' pressure at the end of race night at the dark fuel station at ennis.

they sell 3 versions:
3-60psi version (the one i got)
30-180psi version (for RV's and big rigs, etc)
0.25-15.0psi version, which is very high resolution, but is only good for full blown slicks... as drag radials are typically run in the 14-18psi range.

i got mine from vulcantire for $46 after shipping. you can also get it from tirerack and direct from the manufacturer, but its a little more.

vulcan tire: http://www.vulcantire.com/psiclops_extreme_gauge.htm
manufacturer: http://www.tire-pressure-gauge.com/i...&products_id=1

Old 02-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had mine for a couple years at this point, and have really enjoyed it. I actually gave two away for Christmas presents this year - one to my father, and the other to my father-in-law. Not sure either have used them yet, but I showed my dad how to use it and he was pretty impressed.

The backlight does come in really handy...I typically use mine in my garage, but the lighting isn't that great, so the backlight makes it really easy to tell what's going on.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats a nice write up and find. Im in the market for a good gauge and this fits the bill.... Im assuming you can put a quick disconnect in place of the fitting they supply you?

TIA
Chris
Old 02-16-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aixgelo78
thats a nice write up and find. Im in the market for a good gauge and this fits the bill.... Im assuming you can put a quick disconnect in place of the fitting they supply you?

TIA
Chris
the fitting is a standard valve stem type schrader valve. they sell some various fittings on their site for like if you wanted to hook it directly up to a compressor (basically just their locking valve stem connector on one side, and 1/4" NPT on the other. and also sell a connector with a pressure regulator for like if you were using this to do a lot of tires in a shop or something like that.

Quick Reply: Tool Review: Psiclops Pressure Balancing Tire Gauge