Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

looking for good benchtop bandsaw

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for good benchtop bandsaw

i been looking for a good bench top band saw for a while now and havent really had good luck. the ones i found that were my size were cheap and weak and the ones that were strong were nutz expensive and huge.

Im looking for one thats small enough to be a bench top, more spefically i can bolt to my fab table, but will cut steel. lots of steel, this saw will prob never see a grain of wood in its life. Ill be cutting mostly small stuff with it, prob 1/8 or smaller but if its not a cheap piece of crap then it will get bigger 1/4 or even 1/2 plate. right now im using my sawzall but it makes crooked cuts.

the biggest reason i want this is to cut the mandrel bends to from my hot sides, cold side, and down pipe, along with all the wierd brackets and what not involved with putting a turbo up front in an f body.

ive been to sears, northern tool, and lowes, not to mention the power of the internet which has been suprisingly un-helpful in my search lol. yall got any tips?
Old 03-16-2010, 12:14 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Craigslist, and bigger.

I was looking for a bandsaw for a while. All of the stuff that was not expensive was flimsy looking and it seemed like anything under 400 or so really was for wood only.

I ended up paying $75 for an old floor standing milwaukee.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

im not opposed to having a good saw, my problem is my one car garage and the fact that its pretty stuffed already
Old 03-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You'll probably never find a bench top band saw with enough power to do a decent job cutting steel, plus you would also need to find a supplier for steel cutting blades that would fit a small saw. I wish you the best in your quest, if you find one, please let everyone else know.

BTW, G-Body is giving great advice, I check my local Craig's List almost everyday for the right band saw. I'll find the one I'm looking for one of these days.

Mike
Old 03-16-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you considered a 4x6 horizontal/vertical bandsaw? That's about the only thing even close to the size that you're listing that does a good job with steel.

Otherwise it sounds like you're going to have to find the closest thing to what you want and modify it to work. (for that matter, with most of the 4x6 saws, they are what you make them anyway, there's tons of sites about modifying them)
Old 03-17-2010, 12:21 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Duh it just hit me. I cant seem to find it now, could have been on here, the hotrodders forum, or the HAMB but I remember seeing where someone made a mount and a table to convert on of the milwaukee handheld bandsaws into a table mounted saw. They cut metal very well (I have one of them in addition to the full size unit) the only drawback is the limited throat size.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:11 AM
On The Tree

swag off road makes a modular mounting system for the dewalt and milwaukee portabands. they have a thread on "pirate 4x4.com" go to the bulletin board then find the "tools and supplies" forum and look for the thread on the portaband mounting system.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've always found portabands absolutely terrifying so I wasn't going to mention it, but one of them, can't remember which now is sold with an optional table. WRT to the home built ones:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=808631
or
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=623605

I've sort of done the same thing to my 4x6 by making a much heavier table that bolts onto it so I can use it as a normal bandsaw, but I consider it safer than doing it with a portaband because it has proper guides and covers... (sorry for the crappy cel phone pictures, the funny shape is so that in most cases I can leave it bolted on and still use the bed/vise assembly):

Attached Thumbnails looking for good benchtop bandsaw-bandsawtable_060709_1.jpg   looking for good benchtop bandsaw-bandsawtable_060709_3.jpg  
Old 03-18-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I like that notched plate, I need to build one of those for mine. I have a Harbor Freight 4x6, I'm happy with it. Especially for ~$150 brand new. Throw on some $15 Irwin bimetal blades from Enco and you're ready to rock.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a sears 10" band saw and i searched and found a shop who custom make blades, any lenth you want. I have a carbide blade to cut steel with many teeth. thats what you need. good on like 16ga. steel but only thing i have had no luck cutting stainless steel with it. I use a chop saw for that.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

If you want to do a little work, you can find an old benchtop bandsaw made for wood and put a jack shaft under it to slow the blade down eneough to cut metal

I found an old Delta with a cast iron frame and put a jack shaft under it to slow it down. Put a bimetal blade in it.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
I like that notched plate, I need to build one of those for mine. I have a Harbor Freight 4x6, I'm happy with it. Especially for ~$150 brand new. Throw on some $15 Irwin bimetal blades from Enco and you're ready to rock.
It's just heavy enough that it doesn't flex at all only mounted with the 2 screws... SOOO much better then the one it came with, and with the notch it usually doesn't get in the way cutting stuff in the vise.

Mine is one of the old school HF ones, that wasn't nearly as adjustable as the current ones, but I've modified just about everything on it to make it more adustable, durable or work better. At this point:
- all the vise adjustments as well as a few of the orignal plastic thumb screws have been replaced by wing nuts
- the vice pivot hole was much bigger than what it pivoted on, making for sloppy adjustments, that was redrilled round and fitted with a proper fitting bolt
- all the odd metric threads that you can't find at a standard hardware store have been redrilled and replaced with the more common metric sizes
- the main pivot was taken appart, properly aligned, bronze bushings installed and drilled for grease zirks
- the cast iron slides that the blade guides were riding on were drilled and tapped for adjusting bolts to give a fine angle adjustement
- the guide bearing mounting holes stripped out so I drilled them out and pressed it modifed t-nuts to make for a more durable thread
- I found that the wimpy factory motor that wouldn't want to start in cold weather was a combination of crappy gear lube in the gear box (replaced) and crappy, insufficient start capacitors (put new, larger ones on it) now it starts and runs with authority, like a proper power tool

someday if I have time I'd like to build a much nicer stand for it, and if I"m going to have it apart again, I'll probably take it's cast base, flip it upside down on my mill and machine the underside of the vise area flat and smooth to get smoother vise operation. I also need a new vice handle, it's starting to strip...

Otherwise, it's a really nice saw
Old 06-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dpd069
If you want to do a little work, you can find an old benchtop bandsaw made for wood and put a jack shaft under it to slow the blade down eneough to cut metal

I found an old Delta with a cast iron frame and put a jack shaft under it to slow it down. Put a bimetal blade in it.
got any pictures of this? i have been contemplating doing this to my drill press, just have no idea on how to go about it... thanks!

i too have been keeping my eyes open for a god, compact bandsaw for steel....
Old 06-02-2010, 03:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

we have a milwaulkee porta-band here at my work. We cut alot with it. its great and i would recomend it over a bench top unit
Old 06-02-2010, 03:16 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

harbor freight got a cheap porta band. it works just fine. have you considered a chop saw? those can make very accurate cuts also!
Old 06-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

I like those DIY tables, pretty creative. I think I might make one for my portaband.

Those swag tables are pretty slick to.

Quick Reply: looking for good benchtop bandsaw