Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

headrest mounted camera ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default headrest mounted camera ideas?

theres been a few things i would have loved to have had on camera (i,e; passing the state trooper at 110 mph at 1am, races, etc.) but i never like to have passengers when im going fast.. anyone have ideas on how to build a camera mount? i was thinking of mounting it to the passengers headrest or from the roof but i could use a few ideas to get me started. this has prolly been done before, anyone have a link if so? thanks in advance for any advice/help
Old 03-26-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

before I put in the cage(on which I 'fabbed' a video camera mount),I just used a tripod(of smaller pro grade) in the back seat area.one leg in the rear driver side floor well,one leg in the rear passenger side floor well,and the 3rd leg on the carpeting towards the back between the rear seats.Adjusted the legs and tripod head till I got the view I wanted(used a small aftermarket video monitor mounted to the swing-out cup holder so I could constantly see what being recorded).Worked well ! Some consumer vid cams come with IR remote which makes controlling easier. Carry spare batteries.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this website.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your headrest can go up/down, $10 worth of aluminum square tube, 2 U clamps, 4 thumb screws, and a $10-$20 camera mount will git-er-dun. I'm making one for my car this weekend. It's surprisingly steady, and the thumb screws allow quick removal. I can post photos of the parts.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Launching!

my headrests are stationary. maybe i could run a peice of aluminum under the screws that hold the seatbelt do-flachy to the seat. or mount it from the rear interior light screws
Old 03-27-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

One time when I was autocrossing a guy ran a some metal like this:

between the driver head rest and the passenger head rest and used mini U-clamps like this:

to hold it to the headrest posts. Then he bolted the camera to it in the middle racing the windshield. Worked great and cheap too.

Quick Reply: headrest mounted camera ideas?