Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Shopping for a Torque Wrench ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2KFirehawk
Tried but you can't combine both coupons
hmm, they always let me do it. i must be scary looking or something.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone else use the Snap-on #QD2FR75 3/8" Flex Click Type Torque Wrench?

5-75 ft. lbs.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by badmfkr
when I did my cam swap I borrowed a $85. craftsman TW for the rockers.

however I did'nt use a TW on the timing cover, water pump, oil pan and intake bolts wrench was way to big, so I used the cross pattern snug down then add a little more technik is this OK?
are you guy's using a 1/4" TW on these bolts?

what happens if you over torque? will it stress the bolt then snap the bolt?

when I get around to a head swap I probably get a nice 3/8" TW and referr back to this an like threads for expert advice.

Thanks
It may damage the threads of the fastener and/or parent material/boss; it may cause the parent material to crack or warp, when it is over-torqued, or later on, as it continues to be subjected to stress; it may cause the fastener to snap, when it is over-torqued, later, or when it is removed; it may over-stretch the fastener so that it no longer produces the required clamping load, necessitating replacement (although it may appear normal).
Also keep in mind that some fasteners are torque-to-yield (such as some OEM cylinder head or flywheel bolts); these should only be used once - once they have been torqued, they will no longer produce the required clamping load if re-torqued.
I'm sure this only scratches the surface (so to speak). It is a very expansive subject.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

proto all the way!
Old 08-04-2010, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

How about the TW with the rate of twist calabrations built in I've found a few that have all three cal. are those presice ??are they worth the cash for an engine build what do yal think there like 250 shipped can't remember the name off hand but there digies I just whant to know if it's possible to have the best of both worlds?
Old 09-16-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm bringing this back up to the top. What specific models are you guys using? I need to buy one (or two) for my motor assembly, and I keep finding information that says that they are only accurate down to 20% of their max rating. For a 100ftlb wrench, that means they're only accurate down to 20ftlbs. On the other hand, most inch-lb wrenches only go up to 200in-lb, which is 16.7ftlbs. That leaves me a gray area between 15 & 20 ftlbs, which is where the majority of the LS fasteners lie.

UPDATE:

Found a Gearwrench 25-250 in/lb torque wrench that's made in US and A. Ordered that, along with a 20-100 ft/lb Precision Instruments split-beam style torque wrench from tooltopia.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 09-16-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CDI torque wrenches are what we used while I was working on aircraft in the Marines. They were durable and got calibrated every 2 years so they were always on point. Its what I have in my home box now and never let me down. Got it off ebay and then sent it off to get calibrated it was within 3%

Quick Reply: Shopping for a Torque Wrench ???