Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Jack for lowered car & torque wrench for *

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jack for lowered car & torque wrench for *

Going to be moving this month to a place with a garage, so finally be able to work on my cars easily. Need some recommendations on:

A decent rolling floor jack to get under my car. About a soda can tall.

Also a decent torque wrench for multiple applications on the car. Small enough for things like spark plugs in these ls1 f-bods, but also handy for many other things.

I don't mind spending the extra for a specific tool if it will really benefit me over the cheap ones and last a long time.

I borrowed my friends jack and stands last week to do some maintenance/minor repairs. Local mechanic quoted me like ~$640, we did it for $70 in parts and 3 hours work. So way I see it I already earned these .
Old 06-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd get this jack right here (the low profile 29023):

http://www.asedeals.com/service-jacks-omega.html

I personally own an AC Hydraulics DK13HLQ, and it is by FAR the best tool I have in my entire garage. Being able to jack the car by the k-member and the rear end is the biggest time saver in the world when working in my garage. The jack above looks like a really nice piece, and is much cheaper.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A long reach jack like that is great if you have the room in the shop to manouver a 4' long piece around all the time (really, not to be a hassle, that pretty much means that you need to have at least 5' worth of space on every side of the car, and maybe more where you want to work it if you're jacking by the side frame locations).

Since almost none of us have that much room I prefer something like this:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5429_200345429
Old 06-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverback
A long reach jack like that is great if you have the room in the shop to manouver a 4' long piece around all the time (really, not to be a hassle, that pretty much means that you need to have at least 5' worth of space on every side of the car, and maybe more where you want to work it if you're jacking by the side frame locations).

Since almost none of us have that much room I prefer something like this:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5429_200345429
I use my DK13HLQ in a one car garage - actually, that's all I've ever used it in. Admitedly, I've never used it to jack the car by the side frame rails, but I've never needed to. I can reach the pumpkin and the k-member with the car sitting on the ground (and it is lowered 1.25" all around) even with the little room there is to maneuver in there. I've replaced my rear axle, removed the entire exhaust, installed headers, springs/shocks, and replaced my clutch all in that little garage with only that jack and 8 jack stands at my disposal (4 small ones, 4 truck sized ones).

I've got a smaller jack, and it sits in the corner and collects dust.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice guys. I went ahead and ordered the Arcan XL35 last night after researching more. The Omega was a little too pricey after shipping to be justified for my use.

Just want to be able to do general maintenance and minor repairs with ease for now. I have pretty much 0 car knowledge, but with all the guides on this site I'm trying to learn how to do a lot of things myself, but starting small.

This jack will make it way easier, my friend's jack was a cheapo from harbor freight, too high for my car so I had to use a scissor first, and he didn't tell me till after we had it in the air that the floor jack was broken. When you released it, it just came crashing down lol wtf. Had to get a regular jack out of my truck to lower it safely, back onto the scissor.....yea that was about a third of the time I spent working, screwing with 3 pos jacks.

Now I need a good torque wrench, been doing everything by feel so far. These are where I'm totally lost.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

I have a couple of different brands but for general use Craftsman works as well as the others.Also get one for in/lbs and ft/lbs to cover the spread of torques needed.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

On your Torque wrenches, if you can swing it, get a 3/8" drive flex head, (E.g.,Mac, Snap On, or Craftsman Pro type, very good quality) with a medium long handle in inch/pounds and a very long handle 1/2" drive in foot pounds (E.g., Harbor Freight, Northern Tool or Craftsman, cheaper good qualty). This way as stated above you can cover the most ranges and can get most everything precise and tight. Also if you need to buy sockets, get all long impact, in SAE/Metric, to give you the most durability. Only buy std thin wall as needed, to save some hassles and cash. Just some info to help you choose. Good Luck on your purchases on whatever you choose.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without

Quick Reply: Jack for lowered car & torque wrench for *