Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

How to properly back purge stainless

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you are welding the joint properly, you will get sugar on the inside of exhaust tubing if you dont backpurge. Yes it is thin and will have no gap, but you still need 100% penetration to have a proper weld. Without a backpurge your penetration to the inside will be nothing but sugar, and that is not good.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99345hp
if you are welding the joint properly, you will get sugar on the inside of exhaust tubing if you dont backpurge. Yes it is thin and will have no gap, but you still need 100% penetration to have a proper weld. Without a backpurge your penetration to the inside will be nothing but sugar, and that is not good.
http://www.solarflux.com/Graphics/we...OLAReprint.pdf
chek it out
Old 07-05-2010, 06:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Davo346
Are you a solar flux rep? 99345 was merely stating the obvious about penetration and joint fit up and here you go posting another link. I'm not sure about these other guys, but I've used solar flux and I don't like it much. IMO it takes alot more time when welding tubes, as I have a purge cylinder always standing by. I do alot of stainless work and most professionals prefer to purge.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BADD SS
Are you a solar flux rep? 99345 was merely stating the obvious about penetration and joint fit up and here you go posting another link. I'm not sure about these other guys, but I've used solar flux and I don't like it much. IMO it takes alot more time when welding tubes, as I have a purge cylinder always standing by. I do alot of stainless work and most professionals prefer to purge.
not a rep,im just saying with something that thin you will get 100% penetration,and how does it take more time, not to sound like a sales rep but did you look at the article.he is not stating the obvious,just read the article.dont want to start anything,just sharing a fact.actually about everything he said was wrong.and i am a professional welder,the time you spend on taping every joint or what ever you prefer to do,you spend the same time brushing the solar flux on,dont get me wrong now when we weld at plants that produce food or anything of that nature,you know things that people consume, we back purge.but you have the same weld,just as good as back purging.

Last edited by Davo346; 07-05-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the other sh.. was intended for tig.for saying solar flux doesnt create the same weld.
So, I was a little too dramatic with that answer, relax no need to get your panties in a bunch.
I dont like using flux. I have a purge tank/valve on hand when I need it. Wrapping joints doesnt take much time, whether you use tape or foil.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Launching!

I capped a piece of tubing one size smaller than what I was welding and punched a hole in it for the purge tube. Then I slid that in the tube to be welded. I used 8 layers of tin foil and a spring type OEM radiator clamp for the other end. 8 layers so I could reuse it multiple times before it ripped. It worked great and save me a lot of time screwing around with tape.

My purge supply was tee'd from the argon line going to the torch. I'd hit the pedal a few times to let the post flow fill up the tube. It's cheaper than buying a dual regulator and it shuts off automatically.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

will the argon need to flow thru the pipe or do you just fill it with argon and seal it off?

Quick Reply: How to properly back purge stainless