Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Which of these welders?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 01:31 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can vouch for the diversion . it is a very nice welder. i made my turbo manifold with this machine and it worked awesome....

another machine i wish i could have is a syncrowave 200... it will lay a nice bead as well

and the maxstar 150

as far as mig. i have a lincoln 140 Hd. it welds very smooth and i will never get rid of it.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm looking to get a welder. Reason being, I'm going to put a BMR drag bar on. It has two ears that get welded to the rear axel. Will the Lincoln 140 HD handle welding like this. Again, I'm new to this welding but want to try my hand at it as it occasionally comes up that I need something welded. I just want to make sure that what I buy will do the job. THanks
Old 10-11-2010, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Id stay away from the homedepot units a hobart handler 140 would be perfect great machine and cam be had under 600 bux plus resale is very good on them ive used a old handler 120 at work we use on exhausts and brackets up to almost 1/4 in and it never skips a beat
Old 10-13-2010, 02:26 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
My Miller Diversion tig should be here in a few days and I wouldn't buy a cheap welder. You really do get what you pay for with these.
i have a diversion 165 and i love it.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i bought a lincoln 180c with cart for $750 to my door..
from indiana oxygen a couple years ago.. indiana oxygen is about the cheapest place ive found for quality consumables also..

i would put my lincoln 180c up against any brand welder in its class.. i love it.

i can also recommend going up to a 220volt machine... they last longer and are built better. if you get a lincoln or miller you'll have bought a machine that will probably last you the rest of your life..
Old 10-17-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

i picked up a hobart 187 because the 110v welder we had didnt cut it for our product we weld. it is a very nice machine for the price. ours came from tractor supply when they opened a new store and had 20 percent off coupon. if my phone could take pictures anymore id show the bead this thing lays down. we stitch weld our parts and this thing puts a bead that looks like a tig
Old 10-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Im pretty new to welding but I need one, mainly for exhaust piping. I also dont know **** about welders. I dont want to spend hundreds on a welder so I found a couple local on craigslist. Tell me what you guys think:

Hobart Handler 150 Mig
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/tls/1821615644.html

Chicago Electric Power Mig
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/tls/1797588628.html

Thanks!
im 53yrs old, ive been cert, welder since 1975, and im retired on disability and i have a hobart handler 180 mig gun, around my garage, and it will do most of all your needs, dont limit yourself to a 110v machine, go with the 220 or you will regret, when you need to weld something over 5/16 thk, hobart will last you a long time and welds great, you cant go wrong with hobart or miller, if you really get into mig welding alot, youll find out having a flex nozzle will help out alot, but they are costly! i hope i helped, signed cert. welder for 40 years, plus you can weld alum with this machine, but you need to practice alot on mild steel first! be patient and p.s. mig gun likes clean work, welds alot better if cleaned good, youll see,,,,,,,,,,,later
Old 11-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Bought a Craftsmen welder 110v for the garage any it does what I need it to do. I've used for some exhaust welding and have welded with some 1/4" plate with no problems and that is with flux core wire. I do plan on doing the gas conv. down the road. At work I use a Miller 185 and love it. Never have a problem with it and it welds everything I throw at it.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Default Lincoln Power MIG 140C

I recently bought the Lincoln Power MIG 140C. It's only 110v, but after seeing all the welders for sale on Craig's list mentioning they had "only used it once or twice", I decided to not spend too much until I figured out how often I'd actually use it. Not knowing welders, I did a lot of research and, as you see in the above comments, everyone has their favorite brand.

I stayed with known-reliable name brands and ended up buying Lincoln because it's a bit less expensive than Miller. I was also very impressed by the detailed review of one of Lincoln's small welders at this site: http://www.4x4review.com/Reviews/Pro...3/Default.aspx

Also note: Lincoln is still running a nation-wide rebate program for new welders. I got $75 back on the 140C I purchased. I'm still new at welding, but I really like the Lincoln I purchased, no complaints at all.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

I've had my Hobart 187 for three years now and love it!! Price is competitive I had the cover off mine to mount it to my welding cart all the internals say miller right on them as well as the mig gun itself says miller on it. I've had two different 110v welder nice for tacking and thats about it the penetration you get with 220v is second to none. Just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Which of these welders?