Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

carbon fiber hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default carbon fiber hood

I've been looking at making a carbon fiber hood for my car. The only question I have is how to do the underside. Do you need more structural support that just hood shape itself? How would I build the structural support underneath if I were to need it?
Old 08-29-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know whether you've got a camaro or a bird, but I will say that the aftermarket fiberglass hood I've got (Harwood 3" cowl) has a support that basically goes around the perimeter of the hood and it's still pretty light at about 13 lbs.

I would think you could get by with less on a carbon hood, especially if you're not using the shocks for hood supports. Closing the hood would likely be some of the most stress it would see.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm actually doing this on a porsche. I was thinking along the same lines especially if I just had hood pins and no latch. I guess stock has so much support so you can sit on the hood.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if your makeing one to look like a stock ss or ws6 mold the top and bottom
Old 09-02-2010, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a lot depends on the use of the car or not. We have built some before in one off applications for different drag cars where aftermarket hoods were not available at the time but ran hood pins because we were after weight savings and did not make a huge under structure. These again were straight up drag cars and never saw street usage or anything other then 8 and 9 second passes down the track.

If you are wanting an application for daily usage then I would for sure build some sort of structure to help it keep its shape and for sure use a set of hood pins. This can get extremely expensive really quick especially if you don't have access to the right equipment to set the carbon fiber.

For sure post pics if you take the project on.

Quick Reply: carbon fiber hood