Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Dammit! Broke my 1/2" torque wrench torquing the heald bolts!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alot of the **** is Chinese. The thing is, alot of the **** is also re branded (Ingersol, etc). And alot of craftsman's regular **** is made side by side to a more expensive brands cheap **** and just given a different colored grip. So it doesn't make much difference. I got a shitload of crafstman **** and only a few items break on a regular basis, like the professional channel locks, and chrome sockets, and little ratchets when you use them with big ****.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Teching In

tool can break if you exceed the pressure / lbs per sq. in. / ft. lbs. or cfm max rating

1. the model you have was not meant to torque 75lbs? ( I doubt most do over 75ft. lbs. )

2. Maybe hasn't be serviced properly, frequent use of a tool without maintenance can cause failure.

* I've seen a ratchet break on old 1960-1970 car parts. At school trying to remove old rusted bolts from wheel hubs. this was matco tool but an older ratchet that gets used washed in Tetrachloroethylene / alcohol cleaner, shop towel dried then placed back in a draw. 6-8 classes a day dropped on the floor, exposed to all kind of fluids not properly cleaned or oiled... it happens.

3. cheaply made or manufacture problem
* From a quick look on the net and on sears website reviews were under 2.5/5

where a tool is made, what and how its made only factors in on price point and its intended use I have no problem buying a dollar store screw driver to hang a picture on a wall but not to a 3/8 ratchet that i know I heavily use to work on almost all my car stuff.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Teching In

We are slowly replacing all of our Craftsman tools in our shop with Snap-On. In the beginning I thought it was a lot of hype and Snap On was over priced but I continually have to swap out Craftsmans loose-***, constantly breaking ratchets.

My Snap On driver comes by once a week and tightens me up. Just picked up these two bad boys for the shop:

1/2" 18v Li-Ion Impact & 3/8" 14.4v Impact

Old 11-22-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I read enough horror stories about Craftsman torque wrenches that I looked elsewhere when I decided to buy my stuff.

I wound up with a Precision Instruments split beam style torque wrench. http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Inst.../dp/B000KL59LY

As far as I was able to find, it's the same as the Snap On (PI is a Snap-On owned company) for far less money.

I also bought a Harbor Freight $10 wrench, but haven't yet had time to torque something with that and the PI to verify that the HF is accurate.

I went with a USA made Gearwrench click-style torque wrench for my in-lb stuff based on good reviews that I read. However, the gearwrench is made by the same company that makes the Craftsman torque wrenches, but I don't believe that the Craftsman equivalent (Microtork) is USA-made.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Teching In

I picked up a set of Gearwrench Digital Angle Finder Torque Wrenches (3/8" & 1/2") and they work great. Just completely assembled an LS1 from top to bottom and not a single hiccup. They were a pretty penny but well worth the investment.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Personally precision instruments makes them for snap on, so get one from them and it will be just as good, maybe the ratchet head won't be a dual 80 snap on, but it will be fine. I have a snap on 40-250 1/2 split beam and then bought a new 3/8 precision instruments split beam and they both are about the same quality and made in the USA. That is just a thought, tool topia was the best when I got mine. Also split bean don't have to be put back to zero either when you are done.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by t/a98
Call craftsman sh** if you want but if a handtool under our warranty doesn't satisfy you for ANY reason, we replace it. How many of you mechanics are still waiting on snap on to replace your tools? If you owe the driver or if your wanting to buy, he's all over you, but the minute your not, where is he? I have tons of customers in the same situation, most only use snap on for their specialty tools anymore...
Craftsman is junk... Sorry but facts are facts. They care more about making a dollar than quality. 90 percent of the time you talk to some minimum wage "ra"tard who doesnt know **** about tools. Talking about Snap-On customer service I am sorry that the area you work around the Snap-On person is like that but in my area you break a took and call him/her he they are coming to you that day. Unlike Sears/Kmart etc you have to drive to those shithole stores and track someone down who knows what a tool is in the first place. Then if you broke a craftsman tool that was made before say 2000. Good luck getting a quality replacement your sockets are about worthless these days. I broke 4 of those 3/8 8mm doing Cam swaps on LSX's in my garage. After the 4th one I finally got smart and trashed it and bought Snap-On and finally got my rocker arms off.

Last edited by got milk??; 11-23-2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: I suck at spelling
Old 11-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

Most lube techs I know use craftsman and the mechanics use higher end tools. A friend of mine brought his craftsman chrome sockets back to Sears for replacement and they told him they will not replace it because it was used for something it wasn't intended for. They said he should use impacts sockets if he was going to do a lot of torquing.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Wouldn't be the first thing Danaher screwed up. On another note I was returning a batt from a drill that was bad out of the box and the worker wanted to know if I charged it first cause it was pre-charged and I double charged it. I said you know these chargers sense when batt is charged.

Quick Reply: Dammit! Broke my 1/2" torque wrench torquing the heald bolts!