Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Starting Tool Collection..Need Your Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 01:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first tool set was craftsman and mastercraft. Since then I've replaced all my tools with mac and snap on. Sure its quite a bit more expensive but the quality is second to none. Napa sells some decent tool for the price aswell.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:02 AM
Staging Lane

As long as you use the right tool for the right job. I think craftsman will work fine.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

My prized tools are:

3-piece pick set (I can remove any connector, tab, push-type rivet, etc...way better than any screwdriver) $10

18" 3/8 drive flex-head 22 degree bend ratchet (craftsman)- free

Metric socket set (craftsman) $100

Torque wrench (craftsman) $100

Hose clamp pliers (Napa) $22
Old 01-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Teching In

What people dont realise about tools is yea A snap on socket is 35$ each and you can get a husky complete set for 30$.6 months later that 15mm socket from husky becomes a 17mm(Thats if you dont crack it before the 6 months).If you work 8+hours a day Id say get snap on.Its worth it.Dont get me wrong I use craftsmen at home but If i used it at work I'll be running back and forth to sears returning tools.I break snap on tools also its just convenient when the truck rolls up you give him your broken tools and he gives you new ones right on the spot.

Last edited by Vmineo; 01-10-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Harbor Freight tool box is actually discontinued design that they purchased from snapon. It's a fantastic box! I used to be in management with HFT. That tool box is seriously a hidden gem in the tool world. We had a store-use box that probably had 1000 lbs of tools in it and every drawer rolled like a $4000 drawer. They made them in black too ...

I'm sure that I would own some mac, snap-on, or matco tools...but I've never had an opportunity to buy them. I know their stuff is top notch, but I don't have time to track down a truck, plus I like to just browse shelves and look at stuff without feeling like I'm holding up someones career while I look at a screwdriver set.

I chose to get craftsman tools in the beginning, but now I'm looking for convenience of replacement (if needed). I have a bunch of tools from Advance Auto (used to work there too) and so far a lot of that stuff has been okay. I like tools that come from a physical location that I can go to if I want to replace or upgrade. Kobalt has some nice stuff and Lowes has some good store hours. Craftsman tools do seem to be worse, and their replacement policy has gotten worse... and you have to go to a mall to find a sears...

If you live near a harbor freight then you might go with the #45951 301-piece tool kit. It has EVERYTHING in it, and I made several comments about how it would be the perfect starter kit. I think it goes on sale for ~$180. You wont use them to make a living, but harbor freight has a hassle free return policy. Honestly, in the 2 years that I worked for them I could probably count the number of hand tool returns on both hands. Usually they were 3/4 drive sockets. Most of the returns were the cheap plastic things, or just improper maintenance (like not using oil). Yes, it's chinese, but you have to remember, china can make ANYTHING. They make stuff as well as the buyer is willing to pay for. Also, Harbor freight doesn't do a whole lot of research and development, so you're not paying for it. Copyright laws are different over seas... lol, that's about as far as I'll go with that

Their pliers look like the exact same thing you get at sears, seriously. I have nothing but good things to say about HFT. I've got their wooden workbench in my house to use as a reloading bench and it's sturdy as a brick.

I don't think I've ever owned a good rachet. Craftsman, Kobalt, AmPro, Pittsburg... they're all the weak link in a big tool kit. You'll break any of them. If you could ever track down one of those trucks that only cares about selling to mechanics then you could get yourself a nice set of ratchets.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:24 AM
Teching In

My vote for what you want to do is head to harbor freight. Ill take the standard walmart stanley over crafstman now a days.
With the harbor freight atleast you get lifetime warranty, and a dirt cheap price. With crapsman, you get a lifetime warranty but spend more. I HATE crapsman now. Years back it was fine, now in my experience it holds up about as well as a fisher price tool set
Old 01-29-2011, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Don't waste your time with Mac ratchets, they are junk just like most Craftsman ratchets. I've had three different models, and have had to rebuild them all several times. The final straw was when the head came apart on one and I tore a 2"x1/2" strip of flesh off my arm. Replaced them with Snap On ratchets and never had an issue.

You can also try to find out if anyone carries Cornwell or Matco tools near you, they are just as good as Snap On and the other big names and tend to be more economical.

Quick Reply: Starting Tool Collection..Need Your Help