Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Sunex Tools - Snap-on quality, 1/4 the price

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Some get lucky some, most dont Hope you got lucky
No I didn't get lucky. I bought all my tools new from Snap-on November of this year. Just about 24k worth for my own personal garage
Old 12-23-2010, 05:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Nguyen
No I didn't get lucky. I bought all my tools new from Snap-on November of this year. Just about 24k worth for my own personal garage
O damn badass, I probly got 15k of snap on in my box at work which is enough for what I work on. then some cornwell,matco,a tinybit of mac, At least you bought a nice quality tool
Old 12-24-2010, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

I figured if I make a purchase I try to only do it once. Hahaha. I hate regretting later on.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:18 AM
Staging Lane

Also the funny part is I haven't even used my neumatic tools yet. Because I haven't found a compressor that I want.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:45 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thought I'd give this a bump. Just made another good Sunex purchase I'm pretty happy with so far..FYI, Tooltopia sells these even cheaper than tool warehouse.

1/4" Impact Swivels. These things have made removing transmission easier than ever.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Banned

I have the 150pc set of the Homo-Depot black chrome; I know that it is apples and oranges compared to the Snap-On and the like, but for a home tool I think they more than suffice, especially when you can go to you HD and replace them no questions asked. I will check these deep swivels out though; they are something even box needs!

On a side note, I'm surprised that we don't have a tool sponsor here; wonder if Tool Topia or Tool Warehouse, or even Sunex themselves would be interested.

DM
Old 01-11-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
Thought I'd give this a bump. Just made another good Sunex purchase I'm pretty happy with so far..FYI, Tooltopia sells these even cheaper than tool warehouse.

1/4" Impact Swivels. These things have made removing transmission easier than ever.
I use my dad's snap on swivel impacts to drop my trans, they're great to have. just looked on the site and that's a great deal, I might have to pick some up.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:51 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor
I have the 150pc set of the Homo-Depot black chrome; I know that it is apples and oranges compared to the Snap-On and the like, but for a home tool I think they more than suffice, especially when you can go to you HD and replace them no questions asked. I will check these deep swivels out though; they are something even box needs!

On a side note, I'm surprised that we don't have a tool sponsor here; wonder if Tool Topia or Tool Warehouse, or even Sunex themselves would be interested.

DM
I've got some 15+ yr old Husky stuff that's virtually unbreakable. Unfortunately, anything manufactured by them in the last 5-6 yrs is absolute junk.

I shot Tool Topia CS department an email about sponsoring here but never heard anything back.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Swivel sockets makes like a lot easier
Old 10-22-2011, 09:48 PM

tools are up and down. Anything at makes your money back at a reasonable price per year point is a good deall. But qaulity wise i just traded in a 30 year old snap-on swivel impact socket for a co worker. 30 years and he finally wore it out. Everything dies at some point. Id rather have the life span than the price point. 30 years of wear and the socket is free form snapon and it a new improved swivel socket. IN the end you get what you pay for on most items
Old 10-24-2011, 02:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99mongooSS
the reason most of us mechanics use snap-on is due to the fact that say for instance I break a tool right in the middle of a job. well if I had sunex I would have to buy a new set. However with snap-on I pick up the phone call my dealer and he rplaces it at no charge to me.
This is the same reason why I use Snap-On and Mac Tools. I just call up my dealer and they replace them, no questions asked. I don't have to go into a store, etc. IMO it is expensive, but you get what you pay for. If I didn't work on cars for a living maybe I'd use Harbor Freight and Sunex tools more. Not to mention as castajc82 said, you can trade in Snap-On tools. I know this is an old thread but I just felt like putting in my .02

Matt
Old 10-24-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought my first set of sunnex impact sockets in 2000, and 11 years later, they still are in great shape, and that is using them almost daily for 11 years now
Old 10-24-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

i guess most of you guys work on automotive? there is absolutely no way i could afford to fill my service truck with snap on tools, and i make pretty decent money. i bend, cut, and manipulate tools whichever way i can to make my job faster/easier. i work on caterpillar equipment, drilling rigs, boats, etc. so i guess thats just my .02. i am gonna check these tools out.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

sunnex tools are great at home- but if you use them in a shop enironment their warranty department will get on your nerves. i have snap on, matco, cornwell, sunnex, craftsman, grey pneumatic.... the sunnex and grey pneumatic i was in love with when i bought them last year since it was so much cheaper than my snap on and matco stuff- i broke 2 sunnex 1/4 8mm shallow impact swivels and all of a sudden the set was deemed not covered under their warrenty
Old 04-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks for the info.

I know this is an old thread. I came here because I saw Sunex set advertised and was wondering what people thought of them who used them for a living. I appreciate finding all the down to earth comments ... much more valuable than reading company information or anonymous reviews. Thanks everyone.

I also just wanted to add my two cents regarding the Snap On / Matco / Mac / name your brand debate. I have a lot of Snap On and am always buying more. I buy a lot of used tools in various places, not just off the truck. I have other brands as well but the Snap On are always the ones that feel best in my hand and the ones I use first. I agree they are overpriced but I have literally broken another brand of tools wrench in half and jammed the greasy broken end of it into the tendons of my wrist. Do that a couple times and it isn't the warranty so much as the fact that it WON;T break, not that you can take it back to the store and get another one (Craftsman take note). I have broken a few Snap On tools but I was usually using them way beyond their intended purpose. And they are still cheerfully replaced.

One last thing that I didn't see mentioned is the resale value. On Ebay these days most nice Snap On stuff brings half or better of current list price. If you bought your tools 10 years ago and kept them nice that means you can sell them for a high percentage of what you paid because they have gone up so much. If you buy them used at good prices you can usually sell them for what you paid or more down the road. Pretty much all other brands of tools you are going to take a beating on if you resell. Its a lot of money to put out, but if you can afford it the cost of ownership is very little and you get to use a great tool every day. Just my opinion, it isn't for everyone.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

I have some Sunex impact sockets and extensions. They appear to be great quality and reasonably priced just like you said. No complaints so far......
Old 04-30-2012, 07:39 AM
Staging Lane

They look a lot like the harbor freight pro series

Quick Reply: Sunex Tools - Snap-on quality, 1/4 the price