Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Help with Electronic Polisher and pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Electronic Polisher and pads

i was looking at getting maybe this Electronic Polisher today from harbor freight because they have 20% off coupon expires today, but i also need to know what kind of pads to buy and where to buy them. some links would help. thanks

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...her-66615.html
Old 03-24-2011, 01:55 AM
Teching In

I think you should be looking more at a random orbital buffer as these cheaper ones have a higher chance thar you'll burn you paint if you don't use it right.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:26 AM
On The Tree

i have an orbital. i havent used it much but can i use it to do the same job? plus the pads are old and worn and i have no idea which to buy to replace them.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...

If you know what you're doing or patient, a rotary is the best way to go for real buffing, it cuts faster... the other side of that is that if you don't know what you're doing and/or not patient a rotary is not the way to go for you because IT CUTS FASTER...

In other words, you can get much more work done with it, and you can screw up your paint with it faster also.

That said, most people really like the newer style foam pads... I generally don't. I feel that they feel "sticky" and are not as durable/long lived as an old school wool pad, and that a wool pad will clean up messed up paint MUCH faster and deals with odd surface contours better. There are traditional ones that work fine, or the newer, double sided pads with different "cuts" on each side like the maguires and some of the high end pads...

I generally use a wool pad on a rotary, and then a few different grades on a small, adjustable speed Milwaukee random orbit sander (the PC random orbit buffer that is the 'standard' for higher end random orbit buffers is just their sander with a buffer pad adapter).

If you're going to go with foam pads, then I suggest ones with a waffle or other pattern on the surface, they are less likely to overheat the compound and cause problems related to that.

All that said, my rotary currently has a course, flat foam pad on it right now since the wool pad I was using last self destructed allowing the rubber backing pad to put a gouge in the paint on the hood and all I had to fix it was that foam pad.

Quick Reply: Help with Electronic Polisher and pads