Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

What mods to your garage do you love/hate/wish you had done?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Full size Refrig., also Separate Wet Ice Maker. Keeps people out of the house.

Sound system, Stripper Pole (just in case)
Old 10-29-2011, 12:11 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by onesloGTO
I wish I had a damn heater in my garage! Lol
I`m actually looking into building a solar heater for the garage. I have been using a kerosene/diesel heater for the past few years, but that t thing slurps fuel. Plus this way the garage would always be warmer.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:41 AM
Launching!

By far, I wish I had put in a pit.
There's a nice adder to any garage that would let you do just about anything.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:54 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The solar heater is a good idea. I have direct sunlight on my garage all the time... I don't know how much heat one would actually make, but it would be a nice way to do it.

I was going to put a propane heater in, hanging one, but I do have the wire ran for a 3rd 230 volt circuit... I may just get a hanging 230V electric one. I'm sure it won't be cheap to run, but the garage is only 24x24, I wanted to set the tstat to keep it at about 45 to 50 all winter just so it doesn't freeze out there, and when I go out to work on stuff I can always just turn it up to 70. Plus, when you're welding, compressor is running, etc there's a bunch of heat sources that are going so it doesn't take long to build some heat from that stuff too.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is something really simple but really nice to have. I bought one of those towel dispensers from staples like you would see outside a gas station or at a office bathroom. Pulls out the bottom. Something like $30 for the dispenser and a couple rolls of towels.

It is really nice to have towels handy all the time. No need to have a roll either, just pull down.

This is the one I have.

http://www.staples.com/Georgia-Pacif...product_782781

It's great! Sometimes the simple things make a big difference
Old 11-21-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also if you haven't checked out the forums over at garage journal you should look around over there. TONS of good ideas, also makes you spend way to much on tools.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Race your car!

I stay away from those websites as they're deemed evil in my book LOL.

Every time I see one of those it usually results in me buying something.... It's bad enough just having to buy stuff as I go to get things done.

I need to get a toolbox for my trailer, and complete all the sets I have in 6 and 12 pt, so I can take 1/2 of them and put them in the trailer so I have more room in the box I have in the garage.. this way I have the track set of tools and one in the garage so I'm not lugging stuff back and forth. Not to mention every time I do that I always leave something at home that I needed... be nice to not have to dig into one or the other anymore.

Probably a 400 to 500 dollar investment to do it but the time and aggravation that I will save is worth it.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

Adding A/C, a sink, and a fridge to the garage make living, er, working in there much easier....

Oh, and if you have a hot water heater in there, relocating that makes for some extra room, or go with the tankless system ......
Old 11-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Race your car!

I don't have running water... but I did put a/c in it It knockes the humidity out of the air and will keep it about 15 degrees cooler then whatever it is outside when the summer new england heat sets in (mid 90's) That is good enough so that it's at least tolerable to be out there for a while.

Fridge, check. Have that and a pretty decent one. Stocked full of beer, soda, water, and in the summer time an ice cream or 2.. and in the winter time, the Gentleman Jack will get cracked if the heat doesn't warm it up enough
Old 11-22-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I stay away from those websites as they're deemed evil in my book LOL.

Every time I see one of those it usually results in me buying something.... It's bad enough just having to buy stuff as I go to get things done.

I need to get a toolbox for my trailer, and complete all the sets I have in 6 and 12 pt, so I can take 1/2 of them and put them in the trailer so I have more room in the box I have in the garage.. this way I have the track set of tools and one in the garage so I'm not lugging stuff back and forth. Not to mention every time I do that I always leave something at home that I needed... be nice to not have to dig into one or the other anymore.

Probably a 400 to 500 dollar investment to do it but the time and aggravation that I will save is worth it.
I had the same problem with not having the tools I need at the cottage. I'm too much of a cheapskate to buy a duplicates, however, so I impletemnted the 95% - 5% rule. 5% of your tools will get you by for 95% the the jobs you will encounter. I prioritized the 5% into a small portable box that sits on my work bench at the home base, and it takes me 5 seconds to close the lid and take it with me whenever I might need tools. The big roller box stays at home with all the weird tools. Not foolproof, but it works pretty good.

And for the guys that have a sink in their shop, you don't need a urinal because you already have one.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Race your car!

I hear ya... thing is that I have 95% of everything x2. Well, let me say that a different way. I have 6 and 12 pt sockets, and just about every one of both, in short, medium and deep in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch drive, so all I need to do is complete all that and I can take 1/2 of it and put it in the trailer. Then just get the wrenches that I don't have duplicates of already, and make a set of those for the trailer.. screwdrivers I have plenty of to make 2 sets, same with allen key's, and 3/8 drive ratchets, just need to pick up a few things and I will be able to empty out a good part of my box by putting the duplicates in the trailer, then just have 1 set of everything in the garage.

For about 500 bucks I will be able to do it including the box. Harbor freight has a 11 drawer setup for sale for like 1/2 price this weekend, I may just go buy that and take the top part and put it in my trailer, and use the bottom 1/2 of it in the garage as additional storage for all the specialty stuff I have that's stacked up on the shelf. You know, the stuff that comes in their own case, like the air tools, c clip pliers, tubing benders, flare tools, and all the precision measuring stuff I have for doing gear sets, ring gaps, and the like.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Default Shop

I've got more footage in the shop than the house and its still too small-seems the bigger you make them the more you collect. I have a 14'x14' door on the rv end and a 10'x10' on the shop side running directly to the two post Bendpack lift. I wired it myself (retired wireman electrican) so there is plenty of power everywhere, inside and out, I have 150 amps just for the shops.. Epoxied the floors (a must to keep things clean) ran all the air lines in the walls with retractable air and water lines overhead for the lift and at various other locations. Mounted the 80 gal air compressor outside where you can't hear it inside-mixed blessing if you spring an air leak-should have put a tell tale light inside for it.I have radiant heat in the floor and pre plumbed it for solar-just haven't had the time to mount the panels. The gas boiler works great for now. I have a mop sink and a toilet in the garage but a urinal would really be the best bet. My last shop I plumbed for a shower but never found it useful. I put an electric water cooler in as well and put both the cooler and 3 gal water heater on switches so they are only on when I am working out there and not wasting power. I've got Mastercools on the roof which work very well in this dry climate.
Even with 4000"+ I have two future projects sitting outside for lack of space. I have a friend with almost twice the space and his are full too. I guess you keep adding until you fill you space.
No fridge but do have a gum machine.......
Old 11-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

yeah it sucks- our shop is 50X50- the day we moved in it seemed so giant- within the next months we will be moving to a 100X100- if anyone is planning on building a garage- always go bigger than you want- youll definatly grow into it
Old 12-01-2011, 12:43 AM
Teching In

68 firebird.....i want to know if its gettin a true pontiac motor....i hope so
Old 02-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by traenknerperformance
yeah it sucks- our shop is 50X50- the day we moved in it seemed so giant- within the next months we will be moving to a 100X100- if anyone is planning on building a garage- always go bigger than you want- youll definatly grow into it
I have a 4 car garage and just put up 48x32 pole barn. Figured I would have more space than I would ever need..... I was dead wrong.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get a shed for storing any thing not car related.install alot of over head lites.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

The thing I love the most about my garage is the recently upgraded lighting.

I went from having 4, 4 foot T-12 fixtures to 12, 4 foot T-8 fixtures and I enjoy being out there so much more now with the improved lighting. It really did make a world of difference.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Stuff I really like:

Painted garage floor with sand for traction
220 outlet for welder
Lots of lighting
Lots of work space

Wish Id thought of:

Plumbing it for air
More 220 and 110 outlets
Insulation
Permanent hook exposed for the come-along

Quick Reply: What mods to your garage do you love/hate/wish you had done?