Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Torque wrench

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque wrench

I'm going to install headers and have this nice 3/8 torque wrench but question it because it starts at 5 and goes to 200ft pds. Now my question should I get a inch pound wrench. Does 12 inch pounds make 1 foot pound or is that to simple. I believe the header bolts start at 11 then go to 18, please let me know whaty you guys are using. Thanks Mark
Old 03-03-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

12 inch pounds = a foot pound, yes.

What kind of wrench are you using? Are you sure that is 5-200 FOOT lbs or 5-200 INCH lbs? I've never seen a torque wrench with such a broad range in the Ft-lbs scale, especially in 3/8".
Old 03-04-2004, 02:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by QUIK WS6
I'm going to install headers and have this nice 3/8 torque wrench but question it because it starts at 5 and goes to 200ft pds. Now my question should I get a inch pound wrench. Does 12 inch pounds make 1 foot pound or is that to simple. I believe the header bolts start at 11 then go to 18, please let me know whaty you guys are using. Thanks Mark
well a torque wrench that is 5-200 ft/lbs you will probley gorilla grip the bolts and overtighten them anyway cause it will be a foot 'n half long torque wrench i'm assuming. When I put my headers on I made up the torque spec, I intended on using the factory torque spec but the bolts didn't want to torque that high without streching them so i tightend them tight and took them all to 190 in/lbs(?) on my torque-o-meter all bolts torque evenly starting middle out, checked the header bolts recently none have backed out no exhaust leaks. Don't forget clean the bolt holes out with brake clean and shot of air, I used bronze hi temp anti seize, just a dab on the threads.

Bottom line. Maybe a in/lbs torque-o-meter would be a good investment for you.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:16 AM
Staging Lane

I have the snap on 3/8 TQFR100A

Quick Reply: Torque wrench