Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Do I need to paint or refinish the opposite side of a welded panel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Do I need to paint or refinish the opposite side of a welded panel?

I need to get a steel cover (about 15" long by 5" high) welded onto the cabin-side of my transmission tunnel. Here's a pic of the hole I am going to cover from the inside the vehicle:

The question I have is about the other side of the transmission tunnel - the side under the car that faces the transmission. It is covered with the stock paint and undercoating. I know that welding will create a lot of heat. Will that heat ruin the paint and undercoating on the transmission-side of the trans tunnel where the welding is done? The steel is about 16ga-18ga thick. I really don't want to refinish the paint and undercoating under the car unless it is absolutely necessary.

Any info would be helpful!
Old 09-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just buy a spray can of undercoating from an auto store and catch what you can. It's not a critical area but should be covered to prevent rusting.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

The underside of the trans tunnel already has paint and undercoating on it. I want to know if welding on the inside of the panel will ruin the paint/undercoat on the underside of the panel where I am welding.

Originally Posted by gto69judge
Just buy a spray can of undercoating from an auto store and catch what you can. It's not a critical area but should be covered to prevent rusting.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welding in a panel will have a seam, which isnt painted. the heat may also ruin the very close surrounding paint. leaving the seam area open to rust.

if you can, throw some paint on the back side after the job is done.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

I am doing an awful job of explaining this!

My trans tunnel has two sides: the inside and the underside. The inside faces the driver. The underside faces the transmission. I want to weld something onto the inside. Will the heat from the weld mess up the paint/undercoat on the underside?

The big reason I am asking is because the underside of the trans funnel is very hard to get to.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:02 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are welding something to the top side of the trans tunnel it will burn the paint/undercoating off of the bottom side of the tunnel for at least 1" on either side of the weld bead. The burn off pattern distance will vary depending on how much heat you use, but I would say 1" is about average for a sheetmetal to sheetmetal weld.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Agh that's what I was afraid of.

I really don't want to refinish the underside of that trans tunnel. I've heard of Lord Fusor line of products but never used any of them... how would that compare to welding? Are there any other good alternatives to welding? Maybe some sort of epoxy? JB Weld?

This stuff looks interesting: http://www.alvinproducts.com/Products/Products.asp?ID=1 (Lab Metal)

Last edited by FastKat; 09-11-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Do I need to paint or refinish the opposite side of a welded panel?