Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

house furnace in garage questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 10:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default house furnace in garage questions...

I picked up a used house furnace from a buddy I'm putting in my garage soon. all I know about the furnace is it's 15-20 years old, runs on natural gas, came out of a budddies home when he upgraded to a 90+ and bran new central air. My neighbor told me he had heard that in a garage application the furnace can not sit on the ground it needs to be atleast 2ft off the floor. The reasoning was because of gasoline fumes in garages and shops with cars tore apart and the fumes can get sucked into the furnace intake(possible explosion). anyone hear of this? how do you guys have your furnaces set up in the garage? Also i'm unsure of if it is mandatory that i run the vent pipe thru the roof or can I go thru the wall?
Old 12-20-2011, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Boom

Yes there is a certain criteria off the floor for the furnace, check with your local heating company or your wife will be having a garage sale -- after she picks up the pieces from around the neighbor hood
Old 12-20-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Try the DIY forums for HVAC stuff
Old 12-21-2011, 06:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dads is just like your describing. We put his up in the air by making a base out of stacked cinder blocks. Hope this helps, Eric L
Old 12-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Default I have same set up

Mine is set up that same way, right on the floor, return air doesn't see an ignition source like the combustion air intake from outside does. Mine has been there for years. I obviously don't leave open cans of gas laying right next to it but you should make sure its not going to suck in some fumes. If you drop a gas tank and have fumes in there, just crack the overhead door for a few minutes to air it out then fire it up. A small beer fridge would work great for moving it up off the floor....

If the furnace has the pvc exhaust then you can vent it out the wall.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:26 AM
Launching!

My old man has a household furnace in his 30x36 shop and it works great. He has his mounted from the steel roof rafters with custom brackets and threaded rod. It is approximately 10-12 feet off the floor. He mounted it so high mostly just so it would be out of the way. Wasn't really concerned about fumes since he does fabrication and not a lot of work on cars and such.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i do hvac....as long as you dont store gas cans right next to it your fine. the 2 ft minimum is so air can get to the blower (depending on how it is set up) some get the air underneath and some on the side. just dont keep combustable by it obviously. i know people that put the furnaces in the garage that heat their house just so they are out of the way. i am actually planning on doing this in my garage. i wouldnt worry about an explosion. there would have to be A LOT of fumes under pressure for that to happen....just make sure you vent the flue to the outside.

Quick Reply: house furnace in garage questions...