Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

After 85 years of USA Made, Craftsman hand tools now Chinese

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Well to be fair there are levels of Chinese-made stuff. Some is utter crap and some isn't quite as crappy
China does have some of the most advanced manufacturing plants in the world, so its not like a quality tool is impossible to be made in China. It really depends on whether the company is just shifting it to China for cheaper labor costs, or if they are going to cut corners on inferior manufacturing processes too.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by infinitebird
China does have some of the most advanced manufacturing plants in the world, so its not like a quality tool is impossible to be made in China. It really depends on whether the company is just shifting it to China for cheaper labor costs, or if they are going to cut corners on inferior manufacturing processes too.
Thanks to industries manufacture link readjustment , now Chinese factories can also manufacture high-tech gear for everything from cell phone to car .
Old 08-04-2012, 07:58 PM

Sign this petition asking Craftsman to make all hand tools in America and to bring the jobs home.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/298/2...de-in-america/
Old 08-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Barry Craig Suggs
Sign this petition asking Craftsman to make all hand tools in America and to bring the jobs home.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/298/2...de-in-america/

done!
Old 04-26-2013, 12:45 PM

Default American made hand tools harder to find, but out there

There are still a number of American made hand tools out there. They are just harder to find at your average Lowes. Channellock is awesome for pliers, wrenches, etc. Their steel is even made here in Meadville, PA. They do make some of their code blue line overseas, so check for the American flag on the packaging before you buy. For hammers and prybars, Estwing and Vaugh are both totally USA made and their quality is excellent. Hardcore Hammers are higher end framing hammers. Wright Tool and Klein Tools are American made. They make screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, sockets and more. Eklind and Mayhew are other American tool manufacturers, and make hex keys, punches, chisels, etc. Lie Nielsen makes high end wood working equipment domestically. MagLite is still American, and of course makes great flashlights. Dasco makes chisels, prybars and punches. Johnson Level still makes some American made levels, but check the label. Some of them may be a little pricey, but wouldn't you rather know you are getting quality tools while supporting American jobs at the same time? Ace Hardware carries some of these tool lines, as well as Home Depot (although HD is not my favorite). Sears does also offer some of these tool lines in limited numbers. Online ordering is about the only way to get full access to some of these tools now.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Teching In

I had just noticed that Craftsman was selling Chinese made wrenches and sockets in the last couple of months. Hadn't needed anything for awhile. Asked a salesman if there sales had suffered - he said yes.

I scour pawn shops and auctions for any odd items I need. Every tool I have is Craftsman, Channel Locks, etc - always try to buy US made.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ch150
I had just noticed that Craftsman was selling Chinese made wrenches and sockets in the last couple of months. Hadn't needed anything for awhile. Asked a salesman if there sales had suffered - he said yes.

I scour pawn shops and auctions for any odd items I need. Every tool I have is Craftsman, Channel Locks, etc - always try to buy US made.
Not really surprised. There are still enough of us out there that care and are moving on to another that is still made here.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not sure if its been posted here but a lot of craftsman stuff is still made here its just their econo lines that are made overseas. Their quality stuff still has made in USA stamped on it
Old 05-07-2013, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by redbird555
I'm not sure if its been posted here but a lot of craftsman stuff is still made here its just their econo lines that are made overseas. Their quality stuff still has made in USA stamped on it
Isnt their Econoline Evolv or something like that? Craftsman Ratchets, extensions and wrenches are China now. My local Sears has them, maybe your Sears has some old stock if you see USA on the Craftsman ratchets, wrenches or extensions.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:40 PM

Default Craftsman Tools switching Manufacturing to China.

Yes i have noticed in the past year or 2 that the Sears Brands Company which use to be Sears Roebuck and Co. Has now selling popular line of Mechanics tools sets are no longer being made in the U.S.A. Its is really sad for me I have been a fan of Craftsman tools weather electric air and the tool sets. The Craftsman line of tools has in the past 10 or so years are now and have been made in china. Now here come the Mechanics tool sets for the home owner or car buff like my self and those who are in it for a living. What is the world coming too? I just got my last all U.S.A. 349 piece tool set 2 weeks ago from the area Sears Department store. I'm so glad i got it on sale the 3 fully polished ratchet handles in 1/4" 3/8" and the 1/2" drives have been made like that since the mid 90s . I got 3 of them already and the Identical to these new ones in the 349 piece set. those by them selves would of cost nearly $100.00 dollars All i can say is that the famous name in tools is no longer going to be those that my Dad has had for 40 years. Or those that i just got 2 weeks ago for a Christmas gift for my self.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

well craftsman can now kiss my *** lol

Quick Reply: After 85 years of USA Made, Craftsman hand tools now Chinese