Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Aircat 1100k min-review

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aircat 1100k min-review

I went out on a limb and (impulse) bought an Aircat 1100k 1/2" impact and here is what I've see so far:

Discalimer: I'm no pro but over the years I've inherited /purchased the tools of three pros Dad/Grandfather/Uncle. I grew up in shops, like lived in them, tearing stuff apart for my old man. My air tools are all blue point or snap-on. . .except my 1/2" impact which was a $30 CH POS that couldn't even break a lug nut loose. Obviously though, my skills are not up to someone that does this for a living.

The Aircat:
It is pretty light, pretty nose heavy. I like the composite handle working in the cold garage it doesn't freeze your hands. It is very, very quiet but a little stiff to work the direction lever with one hand.

It spun my slightly rusted torque arm bolts off faster than I could cycle the trigger. It spun my torque converter bolts faster than I could cycle the trigger using a 3' extension.

I pulled the bellhousing off my 60e, those are T50 bits. It spun every bolt off wicked fast, even when my compressor was at the bottom of it's cycle at 80psi EXCEPT one. One bolt I had to beat on for like 30 seconds. . .it galled the bottom, and only the bottom, of the head like it was hammering straight down on it with no twisting. I'm not sure what went on there, but those bellhousing bolts are pretty long and all but one came out very fast and easy. It was not the last bolt or even the last bolt on one side.

Overall I think it is a pretty decent gun but I'm not over the moon for it. . .If it turns out that I can break harmonic balancer bolts with it it will put me firmly in the like category. . .I just can't check now as that is already off.

Anyway, hope this is of use to someone, i wasn't able to very many posts on the aircat.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Years ago my friend bought an AIRCAT and tested it at its reverse torque rating. We torqued a bolt/nut to the max torque that the aircat was suppose to remove then tired to remove said bolt/nut. It didn't work, the gun struggled to remove it at its rated torque. he then returned the gun and bought an ingersol rand titanium in its place, did the same test and the gun accomplished the torque rating removal. Id shy away from those guns or at best buy a harbor freight if your on a tight budget. But ingersol rand is the way to go.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 of the guys in my shop have those guns.. There alright but I love my IR Titanium 3 years old and still works like new.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Build-it-Break-it
Years ago my friend bought an AIRCAT and tested it at its reverse torque rating. We torqued a bolt/nut to the max torque that the aircat was suppose to remove then tired to remove said bolt/nut. It didn't work, the gun struggled to remove it at its rated torque. he then returned the gun and bought an ingersol rand titanium in its place, did the same test and the gun accomplished the torque rating removal. Id shy away from those guns or at best buy a harbor freight if your on a tight budget. But ingersol rand is the way to go.
Thats not an accurate test as the force required to torque a bolt to X lb/ft of tq is not the same as the force required to loosen the same bolt

Quick Reply: Aircat 1100k min-review