Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Pneumatic in-car valve spring compressor

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pneumatic in-car valve spring compressor

I am gauging interest in a project I am thinking of doing. I see that there are a couple mechanical tools to assist in compressing the springs. Mainly the issue is the rear springs. I am proposing a pneumatic spring compressor that kind of straddles the head to minimize the height clearance. Depending on the cylinder it could compress 2 springs at a time. Over that might start getting unrealistic. I haven't put too much thought into this, but is this something any of you would be interested in purchasing?

I did a quick sketch of one possible orientation. Another would be a linear force on the spring using an offset arm.
Attached Thumbnails Pneumatic in-car valve spring compressor-spring-compressor.jpg  
Old 03-28-2012, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems a bit over engineered when you consider we already have someone selling good effective and cheap valve spring tools on here for 35 bucks.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:05 AM
Teching In

Tim's Tool right? The pro's of a pneumatic style would be ease of use and reduction in time to do the job. I am worried about cost though. Cylinders are not cheap. I might be able to use a rotary with a different design though. I guess it would be aimed at people who would use it very often.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Seems a bit over engineered when you consider we already have someone selling good effective and cheap valve spring tools on here for 35 bucks.
try using that tims tool on a solid roller valvetrain you'll be ready to chuck it out a window if you dont break something in the first place
Old 03-29-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
try using that tims tool on a solid roller valvetrain you'll be ready to chuck it out a window if you dont break something in the first place
Your right I have never so much as touched a solid roller cylinder head. Just seems like it would cost a butt load for something most people wont do very often.

I myself have the comp tool.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:27 AM
On The Tree

I could see a performance shop possibly using this if the head was replacable for different valve configurations. Residentially most people don't have multiple air hoses to presurize the cylinder and operate an air tool.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PewterZCar
I could see a performance shop possibly using this if the head was replacable for different valve configurations. Residentially most people don't have multiple air hoses to presurize the cylinder and operate an air tool.
Yea that would be more what it would be aimed for, and real stiff springs. I would design with assuming only one hose could be used. A Y-fitting and flow control type valve would solve that.

Quick Reply: Pneumatic in-car valve spring compressor