Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

lower price tig welders

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this Eastwood Tig welder good for both aluminum and steel?

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-tig200-versa-cut-kit.html
Old 12-19-2012, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99

Yes it will do mild steel,stainless or aluminum.You can buy the tig 200 for less than $800 with free shipping through the end of dec.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99

Yep has AC and DC function. I have the exact same tig and its been a pretty good welder so far...
Old 12-20-2012, 12:30 AM
Teching In

mine as well buy the miller diversion only about 200 more dollars comes with just about everything and is the quality of miller i use it all the time at work
Old 12-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

I would say Miller has good customer service, but I have never had a problem with a Miller and haven't dealt with them. I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
I bought the eastwood tig 200 and love it. it does steel & aluminum on 110V or 220V.

I had to get one that ran on 110V and it was the cheapest option! Ive had great sucess with it so far!
Killer car Killer-LS1! I am trying to find your build thread, I read some of it and can't find it now.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys im stuck between Miller and Eastwood! lol They all have great reviews, I want to have the pedal also for better heat control on the welds
Old 12-20-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bobbybennett23
mine as well buy the miller diversion only about 200 more dollars comes with just about everything and is the quality of miller i use it all the time at work
The Miller diversion TIG 165?
Old 12-20-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Eastwood uses MOSFET transistors which are prone to frying under load. Google MOSFET welder failures to see what I mean.

http://www.crown.co.za//resources/do.../Inverters.pdf

Here too

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#sc...w=1024&bih=672

Last edited by aknovaman; 12-20-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Great info^ I read the first link completely. Very interesting since alot of people have been using them for a while and they have no problems.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year
Wink

Older eBay welders and plasma cutters used them. Google everlast reliability, most reputable companies wont tough them for the reasons in the article.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orange88ls1s-dime
Buy a used one. Let some one take the depreciation of buying a GOOD new one. If your getting a deal on a new one then quality will suffer. Find a used TRANSFORMER style TIG online or in a classified machinery listing. Pay the 1500-2000 for one that was worth 7000-8000 new and be happier with it then you ever would with a cheap inverter style.
Just my 2¢
I have a Lincoln Precision TIG with pulse and it will last me the rest of my fabricating days
Beaudacious
Why? What's better about them? I have little doubt that my synchowave is more durable than a cheap MOSFET inverter but only marginally more so than a slightly more expensive igbt inverter while being 10-20x the weight and much larger and not having all the features.

If u talk to the more reputable "cheap" inverter manufacturers like everlast you'll find that they will recommend there more durable igbt designs in all but the most forgiving uses. They sell both.

I've considered selling my miller synchowave and replacing it with one of the better everlasts just to get rid of the bulk and get some of the additional capability. I did exactly that with my plasma cutter and am happy with it. Probably the biggest reason I haven't done it with my synchowave yet is that I almost always reach for my mig first anyway so I just don't use it much. A good mig with someone that knows how to use it will do 90% of what most people reach for a tig for and do it 5x faster and cheaper.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Silverback
Why? What's better about them? I have little doubt that my synchowave is more durable than a cheap MOSFET inverter but only marginally more so than a slightly more expensive igbt inverter while being 10-20x the weight and much larger and not having all the features.

If u talk to the more reputable "cheap" inverter manufacturers like everlast you'll find that they will recommend there more durable igbt designs in all but the most forgiving uses. They sell both.

I've considered selling my miller synchowave and replacing it with one of the better everlasts just to get rid of the bulk and get some of the additional capability. I did exactly that with my plasma cutter and am happy with it. Probably the biggest reason I haven't done it with my synchowave yet is that I almost always reach for my mig first anyway so I just don't use it much. A good mig with someone that knows how to use it will do 90% of what most people reach for a tig for and do it 5x faster and cheaper.
I agree that 90% of your typical applications a MIG is the way to go. This is why I currently just own a MIG. I figured the next time I need a TIG I will buy one. I haven't bought one yet. I was lucky I had access to a hellishly expensive TIG machine but now I don't. I figure a TIG machine is kinda like 4 wheel drive, you rarely need it but when you need it it is nice to have. I think any name brand TIG machine would be fine for any home fabricator, but if I made my living off of aluminum or stainless I would definitely spend the big bucks on a top of the line industrial TIG.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The ONLY thing I would use a MIG welder for is to build a trailer or a steel work bench. I use TIG for every process in building race cars from start to finish. I've wore out 3 of my previous employers inverter style welders. (1/year).I learned on a syncrowave that was like 15 years old and is still going today(that was 11years ago).Have had my Precision TIG for 8 years and never had so much as a hiccup with it.

Last edited by orange88ls1s-dime; 12-25-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by orange88ls1s-dime
The ONLY thing I would use a MIG welder for is to build a trailer or a steel work bench. I use TIG for every process in building race cars from start to finish. I've wore out 3 of my previous employers inverter style welders. (1/year).I learned on a syncrowave that was like 15 years old and is still going today(that was 11years ago).Have had my Precision TIG for 8 years and never had so much as a hiccup with it.
Thats what my plans are, for fabrication
Old 01-01-2013, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Miller is like the Maytag of welders the have a great line from the weekender to full production find the one that fits your needs and you will never be let down all the welders i own and use are millers and some are over 10 years with a lifetime of hours on them. i would all so say diversion 165 or 180 for home or small shop or a syncrowave 250
Old 01-01-2013, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I dont own a shop or have a small shop but I do have a garage! Lol
Old 01-24-2013, 03:51 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Man, i have been interested in the eastwood too. THe deal with the tig and plasma combo was very tempting.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Silverback

The only real advantage to transformer machines is that they're cheap amperage. For someone who needs the capacity, it's a lot more cost effective than to ask for the same capacity in an inverter machine where you'd easily pay 3-4x more. Aside from that, they're heavier, hard to transport, and have more demanding circuit requirements.

On the budget tigs: Everything I've read about everlast has been borderline at best. I was considering them for a while but I got tossed when I started reading about guys posting threads with problems only to have them deleted by the paying forum sponsor (everlast). Search welding web or similar for reviews - it's a pretty mixed bag, more than I'm comfortable with when I'm putting out that kind of money.

I was considering a 250ex but after seeing that stuff I'm currently looking at this one. Italian made, excellent customer support from what I've read, and seems to get great reviews: http://www.usaweld.com/ProductDetail...ode=70221-12.5
Old 02-22-2013, 03:40 PM

[QUOTE=Silver Sleeper;16960929]i have an eastwood 200 amp tig and it does just fine for me.....it was $750 on sale

I also have an eastwood and love it. no complaints and it does everything I need.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Eastwood is dc only if I recall correctly. So no aluminum.

Quick Reply: lower price tig welders