Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Schumacher Battery Maintainer

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Schumacher Battery Maintainer

Long story short. I don't drive my T/A like I used too and sitting in the garage my Optima Red Top got cooked in the AZ heat and I never charged it. After I jumped it one time it gave me nothing but problems and thank god Autozone gave me a new one. I bought a schumacher battery maintainer for like 20 bucks at walmart just to keep the battery maintained.

Weird thing is this thing won't go to maintain mode. Brand new battery had 12.58v when I bought it. Charged it for 4 hours first time check it it was at 13.9v so I removed the charger because it should of stopped charging. Hooked it back up next day for another 6 hours. Checked voltage and was at 14.8v, so I unhooked it because it stayed in charging mode again and didnt want it cooking the battery although it wasnt even warm to the touch. This thing broke or anyone else with one of these think this normal? Went to go take it back but my Walmart was out wont get anymore anytime soon. It is an xm1-5-ca schumacher battery maintainer.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took one back for the same thing. The new one seems to work but I have not left it on my car with the battery hooked up because mine is draining through an alternator I need to replace.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after returning that charger, buying a battery tender jr. plus, replacing my alternator... I finally found the problem. A bad ipod cable going to my alpine headunit, did a little bit of research and saw someone else having the same problem.

The battery tender jr was doing the same thing as the schumacher so I knew had to be a parasitic drain because the tender would never go out of charging mode because it had the little parasitic drain. I removed the ipod cable and boom, no more draw and the battery finally charged completely. Just wanted to throw this out there for anyone else with a battery tender problem.

Quick Reply: Schumacher Battery Maintainer