Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Tig Welder - Stainless & Aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 05:10 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tig Welder - Stainless & Aluminum

Hello,

I have been tig welding moly for a couple years with a Miller Econotig. It does well, esp for roll cages and stuff like that.

However, welding stainless is a challenge with this machine. On a friends welder, I do a pretty decent job with stainless. Unfortunately, I cannot even get close on the econotig.

I have to purchase a new welder as the econotig is not mine. Does anybody have similar issues with the Econotig and what about a Syncrowave welder?

What is the main difference that leads people to "graduate" to the syncrowave over the econotig?

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I practice at work with a syncowave 250 and I can do stainless just fine with it.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

First, it is possible to weld stainless with it. Definitely not my go to machine though, the high frequency start is terrible, the foot pedal doesnt have as much control, arc isnt as stable, this is all compared to my Syncrowave 250. The only thing I use the Econotig is for tacking exhaust under cars. It is on a roll cart so its nice and simple to get to different lifts in the shop.

Maybe someone could chime in on the differences between a syncrowave and a dynasty.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:48 AM
Launching!

a syncrowave is a much larger machine usely is 220v or 3 phase kinda the old school of tig welders they are great machines they are kinda rougher then the dynasty. The dynasty uses inverter technology as well as advance square wave functions as well as pulse tig and other functions as well. it is a very portable unit it can use 110 or 220 the dynasty 200 is a fantastic welder i will weld every thing you need it also has adjustable Hrz for welding aluminum. the dynasty 200 is kinda pricy for a fully set up unit with pedal and torch you are looking in the 3.5 to 4k range
Old 09-16-2013, 12:49 AM
Launching!

here is a link to the dynasty

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...p?model=M00118
Old 09-20-2013, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

What's your budget. A good machine for cheap is a lincoln square wave 175 but if you got more coin a syncrowave 200 is a good choice. dynasty is a great machine but you pay a premium for it and most fabricators will never use the abilities of a dynasty.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Teching In

i have a diversion 160 and it is ok. i think i will go with HTP for my next machine. i have heard nothing but good about them. looks like you can save a few bucks over the other brands.
http://www.usaweld.com/TIG-Welders-s/26.htm
Old 10-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

I think the syncrowave is a very good compromise between the entry level diversion and the dynasty line. The diversion just doesn't have enough adjustment.

I have never heard of an AC/DC TIG welder not being able to do stainless. Can you weld stainless on another machine?

Quick Reply: Tig Welder - Stainless & Aluminum