Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Brake pressure bleeders/Master cylinder bleeders?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pressure bleeders/Master cylinder bleeders?

I've been trying to find a decent pressure bleeder for a bit and I'm not real sure where I'm up against. I'm going to try and ask the Mac tools truck guy next time i see him what they have to do the job, but has anyone had any experience with something that worked very well for them? I have to replace the master cylinder... try to bench bleed the new one, and at the same time I'm contemplating SS brake lines to just finish off the brake system out to the caliper. Any ideas?
Old 05-06-2004, 08:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeh - go to HarborFreight.com, or JCW.com. they have brake bleeders for around 50 bucks...
Old 05-06-2004, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just to clarify, I'm not looking for a suction bleeder that puts a vacuum on the caliper... I'm looking for a pressure bleeder that pressurizes the fluid in the master cylinder and forces the fluid out from there, while automatically replenishing the reservoir.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Launching!

I've used one from Snap-On that works off of compressed air and one that was made out of more or less a garden sprayer that you pumped up by hand. I didn't care for either one really. Too messey, it's always trying to replenish the master so it's over full when you take the lid off. I just use the tried and true buddy method--they pump the pedel and I work the bleeder screws.

You can bench bleed the master with a couple of fittings and some hose. Or, NAPA sells a universal master bleeding kit that may work.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Smile

To pressure bleed the system, just install a small barb fitting in the master cyl cap.
Use a 21/64 drill bit and if you have it run a 1/8NPT tap through. But you can probably thread in a fitting without a tap as the cap is thin plastic.Just make sure it threads in very tight so it won't leak air pressure.
Use a 1/8" pipe thread to 1/4" barb fitting. Install 2 gaskets or some sort of rubber washer under the cap so it seals tightly to the master cyl.
Run a small air line from the master cyl cap to a regulator and then a compressor.
Regulate the pressure to only 10psi into the master cyl.
You need to refill the master cyl for each wheel.
Then just remove the barb fitting from the cap and replace with a plug fitting when your done.

This is what I did when I removed my ABS module.
Worked great ,pressure bleed and did a complete fluid change in a few minutes. Cost me about 50 cents for a fitting.
Steve
Old 05-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Teching In

You don't have to have a spare cap for that method?
Old 05-10-2004, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

nope, just plug up the cap when your done. Of course a spare cap is only a few bucks.

Quick Reply: Brake pressure bleeders/Master cylinder bleeders?