Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Home made Lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 09:56 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Actually, he could have bought a very safe one for $1200 and not get killed:

http://www.kwiklift.com/

I'm thinking of getting one of those for my new house.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:10 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think i'd have to build it from like treated 4x6 's to get under it. oh yeah and about 90 12" lag bolts.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No bracing. I would not get under that.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

Hehe...the guy lives in Mass...Wonder if hes got the guts to work under it during a windy day!!
Old 05-18-2004, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2_wacko
I saw that homemade lift the other day on that forum. But I don't think I would have the gut's to craw under that.
Me neither. Id rather live to drive the car again
Old 05-18-2004, 11:11 AM
TECH Veteran

How about buying a used lift from a gas station that is closing? ...all you need to do is bore a large six-foot hole in the ground, connect the lines, throw in some cement, and buy an air compressor,,,

The 1200 lift looks OK but it is not very high - I suppose that is good if you are planning to install it in your garage...
Old 05-18-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm picking up my lift this weekend (finally!). 2-post with floor plate (my shop ceiling is just under 140" at peak, just under 11' where the posts will sit). I can't wait. I've been crawling around on the floor far too long.

I wouldn't get under that wooden contraption either. I'd rather spend the money and do it right - and do it safely.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Maybe I am crazy, but I think it is a great starting point. I would use some thicker wood for sure, maybe on 10" centers, doubled up too and box in the "lift" part of it with some plywood, make for a pretty ridgid box. Add some serious cross bracing in the front of the setup, other than that horizontal stuff. Remember that wood is great at compression strength. Maybe some ouriggers to the side that were anchored to the ground.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

It wasn't a BAD idea actually...... just VERY bad reasoning and planning. It really doesn't look to be that shabby, I'm sure it would hold the car up decenlty for now but in 6 months what will be the story? If I was to try that I would have at least borrowed a buddies welder, went down to the local scrap yard picked up enough iron to complete the job, 50lbs of welding rods, a case of beer, and a few extra buddies to assist and went after it. I'm not too big on the wood framing though. Metal would have been a plus but BOOO to teh wood.

Josh S.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:07 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

LOL WTF is that?

Vertical wooden supports....out of soft pine? Guys insane. I'm near Mass. , but I've never heard of that town. That's insane...that's gonna suck when that boat anchor comes crashing down on his *** sitting indian style.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Well, I guess that guy made two mistakes. First, buying a Cobra. Second, building that crazy *** lift.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:02 PM
TECH Veteran

that guy obviouly has no structural knowledge. i was majoring in construction management for a while and have to say, he sucks. it needs more of a truss design not vertical. also needs to be made of metal, not soft pine. hope he dont take of in one direction or the other too fast. can you say dominoes.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

should of just dug a deep hole in the ground and drove the car over it. although when it rains you might have to pump it all out first.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

I even get a little freaked out under a lift that some shop's use. Hell that thing is crazy. If he can afford a cobra I thing he can afford a portable lift. He might not be able to enjoy that cobra much longer if that thing ever buckle's.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:06 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Arrow

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
Is that lift made of soft white pine - 2X6s - I can't believe the town police would allow him to use that thing?
I can't believe people jump to the conclusion that the police department should protect us from ourselves, despite lack of laws (legitimately on the books or otherwise) to said effect.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jmd
I can't believe people jump to the conclusion that the police department should protect us from ourselves, despite lack of laws (legitimately on the books or otherwise) to said effect.
yea, i thought that was kinda funny. if police say something about that i would get life in prision for the rig i made to get the front end high enough to get my header in on the driver side.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:12 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Arrow

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
yea, i thought that was kinda funny. if police say something about that i would get life in prision for the rig i made to get the front end high enough to get my header in on the driver side.
First set of dual exhausts I hung under the family car when I was 16 was an exercise in getting the jack onto flat sheets of plywood until I had the car high enough.

Which has nothing to do with the Police Department invading my privacy. They have no business in what I do on my car as long as it's on my property, my car, and my life.

There's a reason the herd gets thinned by the Darwin effect. That's what God wants to happen. No need for an officer of the Law to "save" me or anyone else.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

we build houses out of wood, and the weight of a house is alot more than that of a car, I think it would be very safe in my opinion long as you plan ahead and not throw it together on site i do not see what is wrong with it i am thinkin about making one of these on my weekend back from school.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default re

come on guys, take the weight of the car ( lets say 5000 lbs for arguments sake ) and divide it by the number of vertical posts I counted 8 per side for 16 total. So 5000/16= 312.5 who doesn't trust a piece of 2x4 to hold 312.5 lbs? I wouldn't build it but I would probaly use it after some inspection. BTW I once heard a coke can will hold 300lbs weight if SLOWLY loaded.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What 2x4s are a lot of you guys seeing? They are clearly 2x10s which will hold a lot more weight but it's still iffy with his design.

I worked in roof/floor truss and wall panel engineering for 2.5 years (just got laid off last Wednesday) and it's not really a terrible design, structural-wise. I'm not saying I would crawl under it but he could have done a lot worse.

The people who brought up houses being made out of wood just like this contraption are very correct. Most exterior walls on houses are simply made out of 9' 2x4 lumber. Some are 2x6 but most are 2x4. Plenty are made from this pine as well.

Think about that. House walls are typically 9' and made from 2x4s. This guy made a roughly 3.5' lift out of 2x10s which are going to be stronger than 2x4s.

There are a few differences between this contraption and a housing structure that are going to cause problems for him. The bottom plate on a wall is commonly bolted to a concrete foundation or nailed to a floor system over a basement. This helps prevent the structure from moving. Also, exterior walls are wrapped in a special material to prevent moisture and are completely covered from weather.

This contraption he built will get weaker as it sits in the weather, rain or shine. Over time it will turn into a piece of ****. Right now it's not terrible.

He should really sheath both sides of the outer supports with plywood. That will help prevent collapsing. He also needs to store it somewhere covered and away from moisture.

Quick Reply: Home made Lift