Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

LS7 Solid Testing Lifter

Old 03-02-2016, 06:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS7 Solid Testing Lifter

I have converted hydraulic lifters to solid lifters when degreeing cams and PTV clearances. I always find myself scrounging for bolts to cut down and file (which is pretty annoying and time consuming).

I figured out a way to make a solid lifter out of the parts inside the lifter.

Start by disassembling the stock lifter... remove the retaining clip:

Continue disassembly, I use a flat screw driver to gently pry the pieces out. If your lifter is still full of oil, you will feel a suction against some of the parts you are removing; in these situations I use pliers. This is what you should see when you have the lifter completely apart:

I throw these two parts out (the spring and the flat spacer):

At this point I wipe all the parts down with a paper towel.

Now pick up the biggest piece inside the lifter, it looks like a small soda can with a nipple on the bottom:

File the nipple down for approximately 15-20 seconds, ensuring strait and even strokes:

Your objective is to remove as little material as possible while ensuring you don't remove too much. If you get too crazy with the file, you will need to use that flat spacer on top of the nipple to take up the slack. This is approximately what you are looking to do:

I use my pliers to bend both ends of the retainer clip outward slightly. I bent the left side of the clip and didn't bend the right to show the amount I bend:

Now reassemble the lifter (nipple up then pushrod cup):

Now stick the closed end of the retainer into the dedicated keyway:

I finish installing the retainer clip using a small flat screw driver and a hammer. A few gentle taps seat the clip.

Try to wiggle the lifter cup. If it's done correctly, you will have zero movement. Inspect that the lifter cup is seated tightly against the retainer clip. Make sure you can push the lifter cup in at all either.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats pretty neat, ill have to try that on my next build.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS7 Solid Testing Lifter