Want to start welding - need tips to get started - Page 2 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Want to start welding - need tips to get started

Old 01-05-2017, 01:48 AM   #21
8 Second Truck Club

I saved money and bought a Miller Dynasty for my first tig. I had never tig welded before and am 100% self taught. I've never used another tig machine so I can't comment on the cheaper ones. I've owned the Dynasty for around 8 years now and never one single issue with it.

I will say that I should have saved longer and bought the Dynasty model with more A/C adjustment.
Blown06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:19 AM   #22
On The Tree

Whatever you do, don't buy a Miller Diversion.
8.Lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:28 PM   #23
Staging Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.Lug View Post
Whatever you do, don't buy a Miller Diversion.
Assuming a bad experience with the Miller Diversion.

Some specific option not meet your needs? Unit just out & out failed? Something else?
scout2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:18 PM   #24
On The Tree

The cables are so stiff your hand cramps while trying to hold it from twisting, and it's hard-wired so you cant readily replace it. I'm in the process of retro-fitting some twist connectors on mine but considering all the good reviews on those Eastwoods, I really wish I would have just gotten one of those and saved $1,000.
8.Lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:53 AM   #25
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Have a local community college that has welding classes? Look into that. I've taken some, was worth the money. They should have good machines and plenty of material to practice with. Better off not learning bad habits early on.
This!
I'm 6weeks into a welding basics class(1night a week for 3hrs x12wks). just doing stick n some MIG for now. I cant wait til the advanced class starts up with TIG. Its a lot of info to know and cover, but ALL hands on. What you need will stick out n work for ya
rkupon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:34 PM   #26
TECH Apprentice

I run a Hobart handler 140 with spool gun, it does what it needs to. I'm about to invest in a miller matic portable tig unit for cold side /aluminum work. I can lay tig quality welds on stainless with my Hobart , using the "dime roll" technique . You don't need the biggest baddest welder to do things right. It's all in your setup more than anything. Wire speed, type of wire , what gas, heat range all play a bigger factor than the name behind the welder itself. Now don't get me wrong a 65 dollar eBay welder isn't a good option. But the Hobart welders are a quality mig that won't break the bank . Just remember when welding steel, should sound like bacon sizzling steady . Good luck !
the max star portable welder is an awesome tig machine , based off friends reviews. Same with the syncrowave 210 from miller
Dennis5374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #27
Staging Lane

Welding you say? ��

JohnDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote