Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

PPE thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Default PPE thread

so i work in marine fabrication and there's a million ways to get fucked up. people flying big parts on cranes all around me. confined space welding. toxic weld fumes. fumes from fuel tanks and **** tanks and slop tanks. i could go on. but the things that usually get ya are the little pissant things. so heres to the little doo-dads that make physical and dangerous jobs a little safer. thik about scooping some up to make your car hobby a little safer too. I got this stuff at home too.

the company I work for has a very contentious relationship with the workers, mostly due to some continuing difference of opinion between management and our union, but they are good about one thing and thats getting us the best in safety equipment.

I just wanted to share with you guys my favorite gear

Please add your favorite items of safety gear.

number one is my respirator. I wore it intermittently last year, just when I was doing fuel tanks and confined space work. my new years resolution this year is to wear it at all times on the shop floor. yeah communication can be a PITA, and i'll have to pull it down to yell at my guys from time to time. but, no more giant metallic boogers, bloody noses, weird colds, hacking cough (non smoker). the biggest benefit has been better sleep with less snoring.

i like the north 5500 half face. I used to use the 3m half face, but the north is softer and i can go longer between shaves and it still seals up. you can put just about any cartridge on it from dust to organic vapors and solvents. i usually use a p100 multi-gas/vapor cartridge for welding and just a p100 particulate if im grinding. you can also run a snorkel to a fanny pack to get the cartridge out of the smoke plume.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

I might switch to a PAPR hood this year if my company goes halfsies like they are talking about.

up next is some eye protection. I hated these things at first, but they're really grown on me. yeah they fog up a bit easier when i'm hot n sweaty. no big deal. stop my work, grab a wiper and clean 'em off. it cheaper than a trip to the occupational health building to get some stuff dug out of your peeper.

the 3m solus kit with the foam surround. its not a replacement for a face shield but its that added measure of protection that keeps the nasty crap out of my eyes.

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-u...2721353&rt=rud

and lastly, because im gonna be 39 in a couple months and my body is pretty bummed about it some knee pads. not just any knee pads, but the BEST knee pads. trust me, these are the ****. if you get 'em and dont like i'll buy em from ya.

https://jet.com/product/detail/93221...a:2&code=PLA15

anyways, like my grandpa always used to say
"be safe and have fun, if you cant do both
have fun"
Old 03-02-2017, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also use a 3M half mask for all grinding and painting with a P100 filter. It's a lifesaver.

Also use these Uvex goggles for all grinding after getting a steel sliver in my eye while wearing regular safety glasses..
https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

I wear tig gloves for all grinding, also saved some skin on several occasions.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

nice! some else cares about safety!

at home I have the 3m mask because you can get the consumables EVERYWHERE
Old 03-03-2017, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha..Yes I do. I also come from an industrial background, so have been through all the safety training and strict worker policies for PPE. Only makes sense..Gotta go home at the end of the day and I like my body parts intact.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I come from a body shop so I keep glasses, nitril and leather work gloves, dust masks and ear protection in my garage at all times. Friends stop by and poke fun, but i can see, hear, and don't cough from fumes and dust.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Work in a corporate Lab, kind of laughed seeing a PPE thread. Ive worked in mechanic shops body shops and around Semi's for a deliver company and the corporate environment is the only place ive been that calls it PPE.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah most of my guys call it "safety sh*t" but they are all mid 20's and still invincible.

hell it wasn't even a decade ago they were telling us that welding stainless was fine...now we've come to find out hexavalent chromium is real bad for you and you are required to wear a respirator to weld it

I am sure they will come out and say something similar about aluminum in the next few years, so I'm just getting ready for it
Old 04-26-2017, 06:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hex Chrome, Lead based paint, Asbestos, silicosis, Safety harness' , 100% tie off, Engineered lift plans, and many more all evolved during my working career in the last 45 years in Heavy construction. All Good and all necessary but you can't legislate idiots, they will beat you every time..
Old 04-26-2017, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

And FWIW Doug 11/4, 21/4, 5 and 9 chrome pipe fall under Hex Chrome rules and some concrete work!!

Quick Reply: PPE thread