Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Gloves for handling hot metal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Gloves for handling hot metal?

At work, we handle bearings and gears that we heat with a torch for installation. The gears need to be 350F uniformly, so the gloves have to handle at least that. We also cut old bearings off with a torch, and on more than one occasion one of us has had part of it burn right through the crappy gloves that our company supplies us with. They're similar to these:

Amazon Amazon

Anyway, I've had it with getting burned through these and want to get a nice pair for myself. They need to have decent dexterity and protect for a while, because it can take almost a minute sometimes to walk a hot bearing from the induction heater to your work area and drop it on, especially if it's being stubborn. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 06-24-2018, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 478 Likes on 368 Posts

Any industrial supply shop should have leather with glass and kevlar lining, they are about 45 bucks a pair in elbow length.

I used to use tongs for bearings and sleeves. We used a crucible to carry bigger hot parts..
Old 06-24-2018, 04:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I always use my stick welding gloves. Price can’t really be beat - can get a pair for less than $10.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:05 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-29-2018, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts

we use those hot mill kevlar gloves with heat shrink tool holder for carbide milling tools. You can grab a red hot holder for a few seconds. Just make sure they are not wet. Happened to a coworked. Steam cooked his hands...not pretty.

If its 350F and under, yeah some good mig gloves ought be fine. Hotter than that you'll steam the moisture out of the leather...again not very fun.

Quick Reply: Gloves for handling hot metal?