Gearwrench - Sears sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 10:49 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Arrow

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
craftsman makes two different types of gear wrenches. They have the bulky, cheap ones that look like two pieces of sheet metal held together with pins and you can see the gears. They also have the thinner, polished, badass set (which I have). The craftsman brand gear wrenches have more "clicks" per rotation than the GearWrench brand, so you can get more turns in with limited space.
No, the badass ones are the Snap-On / Blue Point wrenches. A coworker had his 5/8" wrench sitting out and it is a very nice piece. I wouldn't bother with the Craftsman or Gearwrench models. My next purchase is going to be a TM737 ratchet, then the ratcheting wrenches, likely.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Hmmm, I've basically built my '69 Camaro with those Craftsman wrenches in most cases. Seem to work just fine, and at a fraction of the price of Snap-Ons.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:15 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
These are the good ones. I love my set.

I bought a set of these about 6 mon. ago and LOVE them too. I need to go get a set of the socket adapters now. Those would be really handy.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Ican deal with 10% less comfort, if I dont have to contort my hand to get the wrench on there with the fixed gears and just use flexible head. For the few stubborn ones, Id stick a stubby on it break it losoe then run it out, but I think Ive only had to do that once
Old 08-29-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by minivette
Here's the wrench I am talking about.

I might have pulled the trigger too soon getting those "Gearwrench" gearwrenches, not to mention I paid too much.

That Craftsman in the picture looks like a better quality wrench. The reverse lever doesn't seem necessary to me, however; it's simpler to just flip the wrench over.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

great thread guys!!! I was just at sears looking to buy a set of these to do my header/cam install...
Old 08-30-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

I just picked up the 7-piece metric set (same as the pic minivette posted above) for $75 (retail was $99) yesterday. Be aware, though, I had to go hunting for mine, since one of the Sears in my area had already taken the nicer ones off sale.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

That reverse switch is a god send. One time I had the other kind of wrench (that you have to flip over to reverse) in a tight spot. I was loosening the bolt and really couldn't see that I was getting too close to the tranny. I felt my hand brush it and I stopped but there was not enough room to get the wrench off, so I couldn't reverse it. That sucked.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:50 AM
Launching!

ditto on the super pimpness of the swivel head gear wrenches
Attached Thumbnails Gearwrench - Sears sale-flex.jpg  

Last edited by 72sub; 08-31-2004 at 06:59 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 08-31-2004, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jmd
No, the badass ones are the Snap-On / Blue Point wrenches. A coworker had his 5/8" wrench sitting out and it is a very nice piece. I wouldn't bother with the Craftsman or Gearwrench models. My next purchase is going to be a TM737 ratchet, then the ratcheting wrenches, likely.
right on! just picked up 1 10mm blue point swivel ratchet wrench and
the TM737 ratchet....
sweet!
btw. the plue points are way more useable than the sears stuff..
more clicks per rotation. adj head......
Old 08-31-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Flex head is the only way to fly. if you cant hit all the spots, its not pimp. Ask the ladies
Old 08-31-2004, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Predator
On jmx's cam and spring install page, he recommends a set of gear wrenches for the install, but I can't see where he used those wrenches. Forgive my ignorance, but what are gear wrenches, and why do we need them to work on our cars?

I plan on going to Sears any day now to get a pulley puller, and I just might get the gear wrenches, too, if I can figure-out why I need them.
mainly you just need a 10 mm gearwrench (few oil pan bolts, bolt for p/u tube to oil pump, water pump, etc). Dont get me wrong, you can get away without using them, but there are some tight spots (listed above), but they are a pain (believe me - i didnt have any gear wrenches)

I will definitely be getting some gear wrenches before my next cam install
Old 08-31-2004, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Try reaching the back-most bolt on the passenger side coil pack rail then tell me the gear wrenches aren't worth every penny you paid for them. I removed my coil packs with regular wrenches when I did my spark plugs in February and it took me a LONG time to get them off, mostly because I kept having to remove the wrench, re-connect, flip it over if it wouldn't fit, and/or retrieve it when I dropped it. I removed the same coil pack two weekends ago in 15 minutes with my swivel head Gear Wrench.

I bought mine from Lowes for about $50. Came with 10-16mm wrenches, adapter and screwdriver heads.

-Mike
Old 08-31-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Smile

Yeah, I wish I had a gear wrench the first time I took off my rear passenger side coil pack bolt (hasn't been back on since) . I took a deep socket (what are they 8mm, I forget) and sawed off about a 1/3 of it, worked great, but a gear wrench would have been better.

I just wish I had researched this a little better and gotten the swivel heads, plus Napa charges list price, I guess someone's gotta pay Waltrip's salary.

Quick Reply: Gearwrench - Sears sale