Rivet Guns ¤2¤

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 09:08 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Arrow Rivet Guns ¤2¤

Part 1:

So for work, I have borrowed a few rivet guns from coworkers. Cheapie hand ones that get the job done, the air one (which friggin broke,) and a Pop® brand hand one. Before I borrowed the Pop one, the guy loaning it to me made very clear that he didn't want to lose it & mentioned that they no longer make them "like this" anymore. Well, you hear that a lot, but I now know why...

It took a full 5 strokes to run down 1/8" rivets of I think .25" depth. But, it was an easy one hand job; the jaws don't open a huge amt. Also, the lower section is aluminum; the upper steel. Noticably lighter than the cheapies and operation just had the right feel to it. Once again, you get what you pay for rings true.

I did some searching and haven't found one like his (obviously since it's disco.,) but I have found that they make a Powerlink 30 model, which I'm going to get. Now I just gotta find the best price online, or a local (Phoenix) seller of them.

Part 2:

I also have a larger rivet gun which has a straight angle, and very long levers. It's a cheapie (60$; made in China) which was bought out of necessity. It likes to hold the stud of the rivet after the rivet has been installed. What is the correct way to adjust it? Having to disassemble to remove the stud each time gets old, fast.

-Matthew
Old 08-26-2004, 09:39 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought a "Pop" brand one at a local auto parts store. Looks just like my ancient rusted one that I threw away. Works just fine. I think I picked it up at O-Reillys.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AP air riveter all the way. I have probably but 1500+ rivets in my kit car with it. My hand would have fallen off by now if I had to do them manually.

mark