Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Crane Valvespring Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004 | 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Crane Valvespring Compressor

Just wanted to give a quick review of the tool. It worked flawlessly and really saved a lot of time. It only took me a little over 2 hrs to change all the springs. I also did the seats, seals, and new retainers that came with my patriot gold kit. I like the way it compresses the springs nice and square; there's no side torque to get them off center which helps a lot to get the locks in. The tool also takes away the risk of a bolt breaking off in the head b/c most of the pressure to compress the springs is applied on the tool itselt. I highly recommend it to any ls1 owner with an aftermarket cam because we all know the springs don't last forever...
Old 09-27-2004 | 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

glad to hear it worked well for you. right now VHP has the VHP/Crane spring tool on a hurricane sale. it's $99.00. PLUS you get a $5 mail in rebate on top of that!!! http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...LE%20PAGE.HTML
Old 09-28-2004 | 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Good to hear that. How hard is it to deal with 2 pairs of locks wanting to fall out at the same time since both springs are compressing at the same time?
Old 09-28-2004 | 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HavATampa
Good to hear that. How hard is it to deal with 2 pairs of locks wanting to fall out at the same time since both springs are compressing at the same time?
Use an magnet to catch them, compress the springs with the tool, then put the magnet at the tip of the valve stem and the keepers will attach to it.
Old 09-28-2004 | 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Ahh....good idea about the magnet on the end of the valve stem trick. Would 2 magnets be of any benefit, one for each valve or just keeping them in place with your fingers is good enough?
Old 09-29-2004 | 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HavATampa
Ahh....good idea about the magnet on the end of the valve stem trick. Would 2 magnets be of any benefit, one for each valve or just keeping them in place with your fingers is good enough?
2 magnets won't benefit in removing it, just more hassle. With the keepers being reinstalled, use your fingers or needle nose pliers if your afraid of the valve spring tool or rachet failing and a possibly of it ejecting.
Old 09-29-2004 | 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I second the tool being kick ***. THe keepers are not an issue either if you just use a pen magnet as stated above. I did however have 1 complaint. the 13mm bolt that they supply you to compress the spring is soft. You could see metal shavings comming off of it onto the top of the tool.

I just got a grade 8 bolt and used it instead. I wasnt trying to get metal shavings in my head!

Great tool and a must for anyone with an aftermarket camshaft.
Old 10-10-2004 | 08:45 PM
10 Second Club

I just used mine for the first time today. I must say it is very nice tool, couldn't work better and is well worth the money. I noticed the metal shavings too but, it seemed to stop after I did the first two cylinders.
Old 10-11-2004 | 12:27 AM
Teching In

I absolutely loved it...made my first cam swap a breeze, at least for that task..
Old 10-14-2004 | 10:02 AM
FormerVendor

Loved mine also. My father and I was able to do 4 springs, seats, seals in about 15 minutes using the TDC method

Quick Reply: Crane Valvespring Compressor