Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Question about some TIGs

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about some TIGs

Hello all....wondering if I could get some input from some of the tig welders in here?? I know its been beaten to death but I have used the search feature and have come across lots of info from you guys! I got the link to brwelder from XLR8NSS's posts and they seem to be the cheapest. I'm looking to purchase one here in the next couple of days and have it narrowed down to three, but am still open to more suggestions. I'd like to keep price below 2000, won't be working with heavy gauge metals often, however I would like to have the ability for chromoly cages IF possible. Mostly aluminum fabrication work will be done. I'm not too concerned with how big or heavy the welder is, but obviously smaller is more convinient. Here are the three I've been looking at...
ESAB Heliarc 161
Hobart Tigmate
Miller Econotig
Leaning towards the miller because my miller mig has treated me so well for the past 5 years, but maybe you guys could lend some insight into some of my other choices? Thanks!!
Old 11-07-2004, 04:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put my vote in for the Econotig

What thicknesses will you be welding aluminum?
Old 11-07-2004, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

haha I figured most people would be voting Miller blue. I can't see myself welding past 3/16" on aluminum, but you know how that goes. Anyone have any experience with Miller's Syncrowave 180 SD? Just ran across it and doesn't look like a bad machine at all. Thanks for the feedback Louis!
Old 11-08-2004, 10:13 PM
FormerVendor

The 180 SD is great. It is just big and heavy compared to the Econotig. Harlan has one and he loves it. Most are in the 1500$ range eh? It a 220 welder, so keep that in mind.

Welding .187 with the little Econotig may be asking a bit much for that due to its 110 limitations.

If the 180 is in your range, go for it!
Old 11-11-2004, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I Like my dad's lincoln 185 a lot, but I am biased.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:00 PM
FormerVendor

If your going to be performing allot of aluminum welding, then you may consider investing in something that will perform well for many tasks.

Choosing a welder that PERFORMS well is most important when you’re using it allot or when you rely on consistency. Arc stability is very important...better tig machines use squarewave tech...if it doesn't stay FAR away from it...it really makes a much more controllable arc. Not all square wave tech is the same...how the AC sin wave is filtered...first order, second order etc has an effect on the quality of the output sinusoidal signal.

One of the most frustrating things is trying to "make due" with what you purchase. Sometimes the "bells and whistles" really are a great benefit. Many folks take pride in their welding and it can be an art of it's own. A pulsar for example is a great addition, not to mention being able to control balance/dig of the arc are a definite plus. Lower priced machines will not have these capabilities or features. If you want an inexpensive setup...heck a spool gun can give you good results at a very low cost/time job to weld aluminum.

We use a water-cooled syncrowave 250 DX w/pulsar and sequencing...may be overkill for you, though you'd never need another machine ever and there is nothing that you wouldn't be able to do with it (depending on your welding skills). Don't look at what max you can run on it...sure it goes up to 350amps....though most importantly, it sweeps down to 5 amps...you can weld an aluminum can with it.

I'd say at minimum choose something like a sycrowave 180SD. It includes everything you need in one package....doesn't have the capabilities that the 250 has...though it is the next best thing. Don't overlook a watercooled setup either...the torches generally are more nimble to use, they don't get hot...I believe the 180 will meet your budget...though if you can swing it, the 250 watercooled setup is a little more, but it's worth it.

Like our stuff...you get what you pay for...spend a bit more, you'll be happier in the end.

Good luck with your decision.

Steve
Old 11-12-2004, 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just started tig welding, I got a Lincoln Electric Precision Tig 185, and I love it, very user friendly for a tig.

I got The Tig, Tig Torch, Foot Pedal, Tungston, Cart, Big Argon Cylinder full, for a little over 1800, basically everything you need to start welding

Quick Reply: Question about some TIGs