Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Does anybody have any Pittsburgh tools?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pittsburg Tools

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
I need a good tool set for my pickup and I really don't want to carry around my tool box that I pack for the track because I'd be out atleast $1000 if it disappeared (plus it really doesn't fit in the pick up). I was flipping through Harbor Frieght and I noticed Pittsburgh has a 300 piece set for $170. It comes in a case that would fit perfectly behind my seats and the tools look pretty nice. However, if these tools are complete **** and break when I'm in a bind they are useless to me. Has anybody used them? They have a Lifetime Warranty and the ratchets & sockets look half decent but you never know with some of the no name brands.

Thanks,
Andrew
I'm a student at the University of Arkansas at Morrilton. I'm working on my AAS Degree in Automotive Technology. We work in the shop every day as if we are working at an Automotive Dealership of other shop. To get me though the course I have been using Pittsburg tools from Harbor Freight. I must say the are holding very well! I've seen Craftsman and Snap-on sockets bust in the shop. Now Snap-on is better than Pittsburg, and will last much much longer, however; if you use your tools wisely, they will last. I also use NAPA Evercraft to, Evercraft is made by the same company that makes Pittsburg tools.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

I work in a dealer as an apprentice and use pittsburg tools everyday. I have a 1/4 in ratchet that works pretty good. its 1/4 so im not gunna break that one haha, I also have impact sockets, impact extensions, regular extensions, axle nut sockets, ball and socket swivels, pliers, picks, chisels, etc... little stuff like that I will buy their all day long. a lot of stuff, the only things that have broke were a 6 inch impact extension with the lock on the end, there is a roll pin holding the lock this together that fell out and I never found it and then I broke a 1/2in to 3/8 adapter because I used it on an impact, obviously your not supposed to do that.. and I have one 1/4in extension I have to take to the grinder a little to actually fit in a socket. also their c-clip piers and stuff kind of suck but they get the job done. other than that, no complaints. also when I returned the broken tools, not even 1 question about it. just told me to get the new ones and put the broken stuff in a cart haha.
also the central pneumatic stuff is really nice for the price. I have one cut off tool that would stick on but its because I never oiled it. there is an o-ring I had to replace but that again was my fault for not maintaining my tools. and so far its been fine since then.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:09 AM
Staging Lane

I like keeping harbor freight sockets around for those times when you need to hammer a socket on, or need to modify a tool to fit a certain application.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:52 PM
TECH Regular

I've used their larger wrenches and impact sockets daily with good results. It's usually the stuff that is large enough in size that ample metal pretty much keeps it together. Every now and then I run into an application where the big bulky Pittsburgh sockets or wrenches won't fit into a tight area. In those cases I hafta borrow or buy more svelte ones from the tool trucks.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm also looking at the 301 piece set at Harborfreight. Saw some youtube videos and it seemed pretty good. Need a good starter mechanics toolset and this seems to have everything I possibly need.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Their non-moving hand tools are great. Wrenches, magnetic screwdrivers, hammers, sockets, etc. I'm not a big fan of some of their ratchets, but they have a broad range of them so you can get some that are very high quality.

I've had hundreds of their wrenches. I'm a fan of their polished wrenches and have never bent or broken one in years. I also have tons of impact sockets, a couple dozen sets of screwdrivers, and a few hammers. The only thing of theirs I've ever had problems with is a ratchet out of a $1.99 socket set. Their torque wrenches are even very very good.

Beat thing to do is look in magazines and newspapers. In almost every coupon filled advertisement they have is a coupon for 20% off any single item in the store, and I mean ANY item regardless of price. Once in a while their combination wrenches come up for sale. 11 or 14 piece sets, combination or SAE, your choice, for about 7 bucks.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

I have a good bit of harbor freight tools in my box at work. I work at a chevy dealer working mostly on transmissions. I have broken a couple of ratcheting breaker bars, split a 21mm impact socket, and broken a couple 3/8 swivels. Other than that everything is find. Ive NEVER broken any of there wrenches and that includes their gear wrenches.

Funny thing is that Ive broken 2 gearwrench brand wrenchs in the last 6 months! I actually LOSE alot more of my snap on tools than I break harbor freight tools. Thats my 2 cents
Old 12-29-2013, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

I've had great luck with their 3/4" ratchet set. I used the 20% coupon for the SAE set and like it so much that the next month, I printed out another coupon and get the metric set.

Quick Reply: Does anybody have any Pittsburgh tools?