Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Need help deciding garage breaker size

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help deciding garage breaker size...

I currently have a 120V/20A breaker.

I have (2) outets installed currently.

I want to upgraded to a 220V breaker that will be able to power:
  • My air compressor (15 Amps)
  • 4 more outlets to power small things
  • 2-4 more outlets to power a set of incadescent light fixtures
Which amperage breaker will cover all that assuming they were all running at one time (never would be happening but it's better to have more than not enough)?

PS, I'll also upgrade my wiring.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you dont need 220 unless something requires 220v. it requires a different style plug anyways. a 20 amp circuit (breaker) is the biggest you can go on a standard outlet. if youre tripping the breaker you need to run a second circuit there, or possible a network if no other wire is in the pipe (then youd only need 1 more wire for 2 circuits total). since your compressor is only 15 amps (2 hp maybe?), i doubt it is 220v.

1 100 watt incandescent lite draws .83 amps.

so....i would say 1 20 amp circuit for the compressor, and one 20 amp circuit for the rest of it. hit me up on aim or yahoo if you want to go into it more.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:23 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

When I moved into our house, I had a single 20amp line out to the garage. I would always pop it when the compressor kicked on because the lights, radio ect where on that circuit as well.

I decided to run another 30amp out there running the proper gauge line as well to support the 30 amp.

I was able to put in another two (6) outlet boxes and run the compressor with everything else with no issues.

Hit the local home depot or lowes and pick up a 30amp, and then make certain you size up the correct wire to support it as well.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

how did you install a 30 amp standand duplex outlet? it doesnt exist. unless you ran the wires for a 30 amp circuit and hooked it to a 20 amp outlet? i wouldnt recommend that though.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DriveATransAm
you dont need 220 unless something requires 220v. it requires a different style plug anyways. a 20 amp circuit (breaker) is the biggest you can go on a standard outlet. if youre tripping the breaker you need to run a second circuit there, or possible a network if no other wire is in the pipe (then youd only need 1 more wire for 2 circuits total). since your compressor is only 15 amps (2 hp maybe?), i doubt it is 220v.

1 100 watt incandescent lite draws .83 amps.

so....i would say 1 20 amp circuit for the compressor, and one 20 amp circuit for the rest of it. hit me up on aim or yahoo if you want to go into it more.
It sounds like I need to run a second circuit then. I really appreciate your info!

I guess I need to figure out the rest of the parts I'll need then. I need to get AIM.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

well, download aim (its free foo) and hit me up with any questions you got. ill try to help you out the best i can over the net.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

1hp single phase motor pulls 16amps at 115v. Thats at running speed, start up you will see 4-6x that amount, but its for such a short time that the breaker wont trip.
As far as the 4 outlets, id give a dedicated circuit to them. Assuming you will be plugging in power tools, and may have a few things running at once.
I'd use fluorescent instead of incandescent lighting, but thats my opinion.

I would put a 2 pole 40A breaker in the panel, use the old circuit to pull the new out there (for 40A use #8 wire), then put a small 4 breaker single phase load center out there (cheap). Run a circuit to the compressor, one to the lights, and one for receptacles. Plus you can put the lights on the recept circuit, and put a two pole breaker in case you need to run 220v for something down the road. Also, you need to be concerned about voltage drop. If you give me the distance, i can calculate the drop for you using an estimated load.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would run a 50amp or so 220v line to the garage, connect to a small breaker box in the garage with 4 20amp breakers. You can have 1 outlet pair per breaker and run all the space heaters, tools, beer fridges that you have. If you get a 220v appliance in the future you'll already have a line run.

Quick Reply: Need help deciding garage breaker size