Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Tool to reinstall stock pulley

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tool to reinstall stock pulley

We have tried a longer crank bolt with some washers to push the pulley back on, but it will not budge. Does anyone have a good tool to reinstall the stock pulley.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

If its not going on, it sounds like you're trying to press it on crooked. Its a pretty tight interference fit, but if you get it straight on it should pull on pretty easily. I've even tapped them on with a rubber mallet, and then pulled it on with a stock bolt before.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:15 AM
Banned

pull it off and put it in the over for about 10 minutes or so at 350 and then slide it right on.

Nate
Old 03-27-2005, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just reinstalled mine again..i just got some all thread in the same size as teh crank bolt and used a nut and an old wheel bearing to press it on.. i have done this many times and i can have the old pulley on ready for the new bolt in less than 5 minutes.. all i do is just put the pulley on by hand..you wont be able to push it on at all just make sure it is centered and then torque the nut down and it will push on the pulley from the center and make it go on nice and straight and very very easy..no baking or anything like that..i highly recommend this version..you cant mess up the crank threads and once youve done it this way youll never go back.... less than 5 minutes evertime
matt
Old 03-27-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redbandit98
i just reinstalled mine again..i just got some all thread in the same size as teh crank bolt and used a nut and an old wheel bearing to press it on.. i have done this many times and i can have the old pulley on ready for the new bolt in less than 5 minutes.. all i do is just put the pulley on by hand..you wont be able to push it on at all just make sure it is centered and then torque the nut down and it will push on the pulley from the center and make it go on nice and straight and very very easy..no baking or anything like that..i highly recommend this version..you cant mess up the crank threads and once youve done it this way youll never go back.... less than 5 minutes evertime
matt

or you could buy an installer, i did because i work on lots of different cars. its kinda like this one.
http://www.mactools.com/ProductDetai...ItemNum=TP1330
Old 03-27-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

It is on straight.

We have done a lot of these without too much trouble, but this one is different . Since we do so many cam swaps and some of them still are using the stock pulley, would like to find a good installer that works better so this doesn't happen again. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Try JC Whitney. I bought mone there. It is a special installer for crank pulleys and includes attachments for a dozen or so differnt size bolts. One of the attachments fits our crank threads perfect. About $29.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Veteran

I just checked both JC Whitney and Harbor Freight for th epulley installation tool. Apparently, they stopped making these.

DO NOT buy the tool designed for alternator and power steering pulleys as it will not work for crank pulleys.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all thread and some washers. Make sure you put it in the oven for a while too. Make sure you dont forget about it either, you can melt the dampening material in the middle of the pully.

Heating it makes it expand, and it will almost slide right on when hot
Old 03-28-2005, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Louis
all thread and some washers. Make sure you put it in the oven for a while too. Make sure you dont forget about it either, you can melt the dampening material in the middle of the pully.

Heating it makes it expand, and it will almost slide right on when hot

Yep! Works like a charm!

Quick Reply: Tool to reinstall stock pulley