Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Kobalt 60gal Air Compressor at Lowes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:00 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Granted, I've never painted a car, but if anything you might need to be patient. I used my 30 gallon craftsman to paint all of the cabinets in our kitchen and it worked ok. I kept the pressure constant at the gun, but the compressor ran continually it seemed. So going with a bigger compressor and a more powerful one can only help.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Kobalt compressors have tags on them stating what they are good for and only marginal for. You probably could find that info on there webpage too.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:10 PM

Default kobalt 60 gallon compressor

I wired this compressor up and it got up to 150 lbs and I shut it down. I don't know where it will cut off at what pressure. The book doesn't say.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by woodman1
I wired this compressor up and it got up to 150 lbs and I shut it down. I don't know where it will cut off at what pressure. The book doesn't say.
Mine shuts off at about 140-145psi. It should state in the specs what the operating pressure is.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Default My

Originally Posted by woodman1
new 60 gal Kobalt shuts off at 175psi. It did at least the first few times I used it. [Very little use and 3 days B4 warranty ran out, 1 yr]
Then, it was downhill from there.
1. Motor took a ****. Thier "warranty" is bullshit. Read the fine print. Then, try to deal w/ the "warranty center". On hold for 1/2 hr! Never did get a live pickup.
2. Pressure switch contacts went south.
3. Store mgr gave me a ration of BS, as I was going to take it back. NOPE!
We rewired the system to use low amp draw on the pressure switch. [Installed a relay]
Ended up getting a GE 7HP motor from Tractor Supply. It started 1 time, and blew up. No replacement. "we don't handle that anymore. Too many problems".
Went back to the original motor, took it apart, and wired the power directly to bypass the shitty little push on connector board.
Been working fine, since that fiasco.
Bottom line: Compressors are no different that other tools..Cheap **** doesn't last.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I must have a different model, since mine only goes to 145psi. So far I haven't had any problems. I purchased it about 4 years ago.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:46 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I got rid of my 60gal Kobalt after it died. Got about 2 years of hard use out of it though. Paid 445$ and sold it with a blown pump in a garage sale for 175$. Picked up an 80gal Ingersoll-Rand T30 single phase 2 stage and it can't do any wrong! You get what you pay for in some situations.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:32 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I ended up getting an older Craftsman 2-stage, 60 gallon, 175psi unit that was in pristine condition. It had been sitting for 2-3 years after a dealership shutdown. I brought my bro-in-law with me who has worked as a mechanic at dealerships for 20+ years and has serviced quite a few compressors. He was impressed with it. Considering I got it for $250, I was quite happy. It's now been running trouble free for well over a year without a hiccup. It kicks on at 150psi, and shuts off at 175psi and takes about 30-40 seconds to do that.

I have my reguator turned down to 100psi, and the extra capacity and psi is nice. I actually mounted the compressor in the basement, adjacent to the garage and ran the line up into the garage. So now the compressor is actually quieter than the furnace in the basement, and I gained floor space.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bought a 60gal campbell at tractor supply for $399 about a year ago. havnt had any problems yet.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mondols1
thats what i was wondering, will this compressor meet the min requirment to shoot paint on a car?
We paint airplanes with that same size. Yes, it is a pain at times and we beat it to death. I really suprised it still runs after 3 years. To answer your question, yes it'll shoot paint for a car just fine.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:12 PM

Looks like a couple of the Kobalt compressors are on sale for fathers day. The 80gal is 20% off at Lowes: $639. Plus what should be 5% off with a Lowes credit card. Is this a great deal? I've got my eye out for something of that size, but I'm not quite to the stage of wiring up my new garage for electricity. So I don't need it yet, but if it's well worth it I may want to grab it now. But I don't really want to burn 8 months or maybe even a year of the warranty if I'm just storing it until I get the electricity finished (yes, I'm busy and slow and doing it mostly myself). Plus I'd HATE to find a better deal later. Any opinions?
Old 06-17-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock2000
Looks like a couple of the Kobalt compressors are on sale for fathers day. The 80gal is 20% off at Lowes: $639. Plus what should be 5% off with a Lowes credit card. Is this a great deal? I've got my eye out for something of that size, but I'm not quite to the stage of wiring up my new garage for electricity. So I don't need it yet, but if it's well worth it I may want to grab it now. But I don't really want to burn 8 months or maybe even a year of the warranty if I'm just storing it until I get the electricity finished (yes, I'm busy and slow and doing it mostly myself). Plus I'd HATE to find a better deal later. Any opinions?
thats not such an outstanding deal that you wont find it again...
Since you're not ready for it yet, I would just wait.. thats just more time to find a great deal.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:37 AM

Sounds good. Great deal in the future, here I come!
Old 06-19-2011, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw the 60gal air compressor for $379 at my local lowes!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:53 PM
12 Second Club

I picked up the 80 gallon the other day. It is not the exact compressor that I want, but for the price it is a good value. I really wanted to buy an IR unit, but could not justify ~$300 more dollars. Not to mention the IR has a 60 gallon tank. Now the dilemma is to sell my 26 gallon Coleman that is 9 years old or use it for the tank. I am going to be doing lots of sand blasting and repainting my trailer. The kobalt should be able to keep up longer than I want to sand blast in the hot sun. It will be nice though to not have to wait for the compressor to catch up every few minutes like I did with the poor Coleman.

What compressor oil and filters/water separators does everyone use? I think I am just going to pick up some no name synthetic oil and an IR filter from TSC.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought the older 60 gallon unit that Lowes had on sale last year, snagged it for 429. It's been in my garage for a year now. Only issues I had, was when I got it home it had a faulty check valve at the compressor to tank line, guy came out and had it fixed in about a week. Kind of sucked that it was bad right from the factory, but knock on wood, it's good now.

Other issue I had was the water drain on mine was under the tank, which was a pita to get to, and when the oring on that went to hell and it was leaking, I put a couple fittings on there and a 1/4 turn 1/4 inch ball valve, and now I can easily drain the water out of it my reaching in with the toe of a shoe, which is nice. if you don't have that ability I would highly recommend putting an elbow on , an extension pipe and a small ball valve. About 20 bucks in hardware total if I remember right.

The compressor, runs alot when I'm using air tools, but it never gets to the point that the tool actually starts losing power. I have the tools regulated to 90 psi, and I plumbed an air system in my garage, 2 hose reels, a filter with a cheap dryer on it @ the start of the system. 1st hose reel has an auto oiler on it, that one gets all the use with the air tools. 2nd hose reel, gets used for tires, the "air broom" for the garage/cleaning stuff off, etc.

Came out pretty good, and so far, I'm happy with everything.

I don't know if it would support painting a car... it might, but you better be quick about the coats and let it sit and rebuild pressure between coats. FYI the older one I bought is a 10.2 cfm unit @ 90psi. The newer ones are a little more then that and probably will do even better then what I have.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

we have the Kobalt 80 gallon unit and it works well BUT when it come's time to get them to work on it you will get the run around before it gets fixed if you are lucky .we had to fix it with out them.We got it from LOWs
Old 08-04-2011, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs down My $.02

My Kobalt experience: NOT GOOD>>
5hp/80 gal, 2 stage.
1. 6 mo's in.. Pressure sw fried, took out the contact tips, fried the connectors in the motor.
2. No motors available. Found the same motor[GE], at Tractor Supply. It lasted exactly 1 start and puked. Took it back.. "Sorry, that was the last 1. We've had so many problems, we quit selling them".SOL..
3. Rewired the orig motor,[Cut the cheap assed push on lugs off and used wire nuts], added a remote relay, controlled by the NEW psi switch.[Low amp draw on the psi sw.] That worked OK...For a while.
4. 1 mo B4 the warranty expired, the compressor took a dump. Company, [once I got a live body on the line], sent me a new compressor. Unit has worked ok, for about 10 mo's.

READ what the warranty REALLY covers. That 3yr BS on the tank, may be
misleading...
This is a hobby shop operation, 1 man show, compressor used MAYBE 2 hrs/month.

I discussed compressors w/ a REAL compressor builder/repair shop:
A. Cheapos don't usually have the advertized output.
B. Look at the motor rpm...
C. The cheapos won't last long on a sand blaster of any volume.
D. And the best advice he gave me>>>>Buy a quality unit, and buy it once...

[My prior shop had a $1500 unit from Grainger.. Ran it for nearly 20 yrs...Changed the belt and the oil, cleaned the intake filter...]

NUF said!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Angry I got the

Originally Posted by bug man nrg
we have the Kobalt 80 gallon unit and it works well BUT when it come's time to get them to work on it you will get the run around before it gets fixed if you are lucky .we had to fix it with out them.We got it from LOWs
same bull$hit...Told me to call the "warranty dept" fone # in the op manual...
I guess that's what one can expect, when dealing with the constant turn over in such places...

The store mgr, once I found him actually working, got an ear full.

In the FWIW dept>>> Tractor Supply sells a good compressor w/ remote relay start, etc.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree 100% that they're not up to the standard of an ingersoll or the like... if you're buying it for your home, depending on how much you use it, I think it will work o.k. But, if the price is not the driving factor, I would go with a better one.

In my case I always wanted, and needed a compressor to run in the garage, and when I saw the 60 gallon job go on sale for 429 I figured what the hell.

Fwiw, the repair guy told me when he came out that he generally doesn't go look at the 60 gallon ones very often, he said it usualyl is the 80 gallon ones that have issues...

And, he also told me that a different compressor and motor can go on very easily if either die on me.. it's nothing more then a mounting plate away from being doable. Still only have a 60 gallon tank, but like the service guy told me, I could replace the pump, and the motor and the pressure switch for less money then it would cost me to do another one so ya still really didn't go wrong.

Tank, as long as you keep the water drained, should last for a very long time.

Quick Reply: Kobalt 60gal Air Compressor at Lowes?